1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Success rates

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Leviathon, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Last week's FE Fiocus - Croydon College has admitted to artificially "inflating" its success rates. Here's the link.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6087670
    A couple of years ago the LSC commissioned KPMG to do a major investigation of this issue. They found that many colleges were using some (or all) of the following techniques to "boost" their success rates.
    • <li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Recruiting above target and deciding at the end of the year which places are unfunded, so removing them from the Individual Learner Record.</font><li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">If a student takes on additional qualifications during the year, deciding at the last minute whether to include them.</font><li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Including students on the records at first, but scrubbing them from the final submission under the guise of data cleansing.</font><li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Manipulating the end dates to turn successful short courses into long courses and unsuccessful long courses into short courses, or extending the end date to remove the course from that year&rsquo;s figures.</font><li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Changing the leaving date to October for students who drop out from November to January so colleges keep the funding but are not included in success rates.</font><li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Leaving out overseas students or those funded by employers, even though they are studying alongside LSC-funded students.</font><li style="line-height:normal;margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri">Transferring students off a course, but not transferring them to another course at the same level, as required</font>
    Naughty, very naughty!

2. And as all of those were found and recorded by KPMG I hope the colleges were soundly smacked.
    I also hope that schools now take some notice as they are now also bound by the same criteria colleges are - or rather they will become so over the next 2 years.
    I can hear the screams already!

BUT I do have an issue with
    As this has to be done with overseas students as the LSC has no need/right to know about them and their academoic advancement! An overseas student is always 'off the record' for success etc. I am sure I have read that in the government guidelines of overseas/non-EU students just last year. Though as it is nigh on impenetrable, maybe not!

I'm not sure about employer funded though, as many are subsidised by LAs etc

3. I think they're going to be pretty deafening :)

4. Yeah [​IMG]