1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Success Criteria

Discussion in 'Primary' started by karealex, Feb 15, 2012.

1. What impact do you think that Success Criteria has on the quality of learning for children in Primary Education? The reason I ask this is because as a school we are researching the influence/ type/ use of success criteria in our lessons. Do teachers write their SC whilst planning the lesson or do you create the SC with the children?

2. I think that for end-of-unit pieces of writing, they can be useful, but only if the children help to generate them and not too many things are included.
    I also think that they can be useful in some maths skills - e.g. how to measure a straight line accurately with a ruler, but again the children need to generate them and they need to be concise. I saw a lesson where the teacher spent about 15 minutes describing the SC for column addition to the class, most of whom couldn't have cared less. It was overly complicated and actively disengaged the children. We should be giving more time for consolidation through practice, rather than writing meaningless checklists for everything!
    I think having them for each lesson is madness. It takes time; not all children actually care that much and copying them down in books is ludicrous.
    I'd much rather than the children knew the big picture of their learning and then could orally describe to me what I expect of them in that lesson.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I agree entirely with elizabeth1972

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have to have layered success criteria for every lesson in every subject, the children have to copy them down if writing in the lesson ( including maths, science, history etc) but <u>ONLY</u> need to "be aware of them" for practical lessons! ( well that's OK then, success criteria in PE tends to be of the "Kick the ball not the player" variety !)

I seem to spend more time devising success criteria than teaching lessons! As to whether it makes any difference to the children's understanding, I find it actually hampers their work as they will only do what it says in the success criteria! The number of times I've heard "well it doesn't say use paragraphs, does it" as an excuse for not including them! Well, no and it doesn't say spell words correctly with capital letters , full stops and correct punctuation either, but I expect you to still do it because you are year 6, not Reception!

5. Why thank you, Tafkam! Now, if only I could get my HT to say the same thing....!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are supposed to have SC for all literacy and numeracy lessons, but not necessarily for other subjects.

Sometimes they really aid the learning and other times they don't. If they don't help learning and no-one is there to see don't bother with them is my view.

I have observed several lessons since Christmas when I have explained to teachers why giving children SC in that lesson would have really helped them achieve more. And a few where the SC was pointless and done for my benefit as observer which I understand, but dislike as a concept.

7. Agreed! Success Criteria (and Learning Objctives, but don't get me started on those) can very easily impact negatively on teaching and learning, but especially on learning.

8. I totally believe in SC for writing; not really made it work for maths. I believe a focused SC for every writing lesson has really improved standards, the children understand what makes great writing. It isn't onerous at all, sometimes I go through it at the end of my teaching time, sometimes I ask the children what they think it is...it's pretty obvious from what I've focused my teaching on, but it only ever takes an extra minute or so. The key is for them to find the success criteria in their work at the end, otherwise there is no point in doing it. Once it's part of routine and the children know what they're doing it's easy and has no impact on planning at all. Those posters above who say they end up spending ages planning and introducing the SC.....why? The purpose/objective of the lesson is the success criteria, just whack it in an 'I can...' statement.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Aah, but we have to have a minimum of 3 criteria statements for each level ( in Literacy). So one I can statement just wouldn't do, I end up with about 9! These all have to be displayed on the board before the beginning of the lesson, introduced and explained at the beginning and checked against at the end.

10. zannar

zannar New commenter

I hate LOs and SCs in the format we are expected to give them. I always tell the children what we are going to do and why -isn't this the LO? To be successful they have to do one or several things(depending on differentiation of course) which I ask them to do - isn't this the SC?
    Having to write both on boards, in books and on plans wastes valuable teaching time in my opinion..

11. Surely the 3 success criteria statements are just your differentiation?? Again, just stick them in 'I can statements....'
    I can use a powerful verb in a sentence about Theseus in the Minotaur's lair.
    I can use several powerful verbs in my paragraph about Theseus in the Minotaur's Lair.
    I could use an adverb to make my verb even more powerful!
    Why go through them at the start of the lesson, why not ask the children at the end of your input what they think the success criteria is? You can guage understanding that way.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I <u>have</u> to include 3 "I have" statements ( not I can!) for the 3 main levels in my class ( so from level 3 to level 5) , they <u>have</u> to be written on the board and they <u>have</u> to be introduced before the main input! I also have to have a Can I question! My planning has to show all of these AND levelled statements from the Assessment Focus being taught, there's hardly any room on the plans for what we are actually doing! The Head comes into every class during the day and he checks that these are there, woe betide you if they're not!

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Phew! Glad I teach in such a naff school where things like SC are only just beginning. The fact some teachers cannot for the life of them construct any at all is frustrating sometimes, but reading here make me pleased I don't have to do all that nonsense.

I can have as many SC as I wish, minimum of one! They do not need to be 'levelled' as such, but relevant to the needs of the class and show how a child can meet the LO.

We use WALT and WILF which makes the thought process dead easy. The SC (WILF) is simply what I'll be looking for in the lesson to know if children have learned what I hoped they would. Any decent teacher has that in mind anyway, so just popping it on the board is no hardship.

14. Our LO and SC are supposed to be the first thing we say in each lesson. No discovery learning or child-led learning for us!

15. Sounds like your school is going downhill and backwards Minnie. Before you were a team. Now look at your language - NAFF school, for the life of them - frustrating - (probably got far better things to do and could tell you about them except most observers are nothing more than police dogs with blinkers.on.).
    You can't 'have as many as you like' - you can't for example have non! cos you think the whole thing is a waste of time to the way you teach. they have to 'show how the child can meet the LO'- why? jus get on and interact with the children - maybe even digress and not -give' a lesson at all, but teach something completely differnt that neither you nor they knew you were going to think interesting when you started class.
    I am a decent teacher -so I am told- I never have that thought 'in mind' so 'popping it on the board' would be an irrelevant distracion. No it would be more that that it would be ****. It would be giving up my autonomy to readh out to children in the ways my ecpereince and instincts suggest. We don't need to teach 'Lessons' to our little children in years reception and year one, even year two don't need this stuff. We need trust not targets.
    I am beginning to hate with a vengence anyone who syruply tries to force down my thraot medicine for an illness which they diagnosed and to which I never signed up at the doctors in the first place.

16. I think if you are asked (forced) to do something, you resent it and see it in a negative light. In our school we are left to teach as we see fit (as long as we reach a very high expectation). I use success criteria and it has worked, other teachers choose to do other things and that works. Ideally you choose what works for you. If something does work, we discuss it in staff meetings and then other people have the choice whether to give it a go.

17. I'm just about to take on a research project into success criteria. I'd be really interested in knowing your results!

18. Any vacancies at your school Kit?