1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Success Criteria - Olaudah Equiano -help!

Discussion in 'History' started by cbks0440, Mar 6, 2016.

1. cbks0440

cbks0440 New commenter

Hi all,

I have an interview this week and I need to teach about Olaudah Equiano. I haven´t taught History in a while and wondered if someone could help me with some success criteria (all, most some). I am teaching them mainly who he was, how he became a slave and how he helped to influence the abolition of slavery. I have all of the subject content nailed, and I´ve come up with lots of activities, but I always struggle with success criteria. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Can I suggest you ask the question here:

https://schoolhistory.co.uk/forum/

I might well look to see how well pupils (depending on age, I'm assuming Year 8 or maybe 9) could explain OE to their neighbour by the end ot the lesson, or to the class as a whole (you could listen to the pairs and select one or two to repeat it to the class as a whole)....Or I might have a quick 'T' or 'F quiz at the end of the lesson about OE and see how much the pupils have learned...'

3. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I hate all/most/some.

Success criteria depend on the tasks and the theoretical focus of the lesson. Is it causation - how Equiano's writings influenced others? Is it significance - compare his impact to others such as Wilberforce? Is it something else entirely?

You should know what success will look like in your tasks for the lesson. If they succeed at all tasks, what will they have learnt? How could they display that learning for the benefit of whoever''s observing your lesson?

4. cbks0440

cbks0440 New commenter

Hi!

Thanks for this. It's a Year 6 lesson, focussing on who he was, how he became a slave and how he influenced the abolition of slavery. I too don't like 'all, most, some'. However, it's what most of my previous schools have wanted. I also retrained in secondary maths, and the SCs are completely different. I have always found it very hard to write success criteria, because I expect everyone to have the same knowledge by the end of the lesson, though some will know in more detail and be able to complete ext. tasks, allowing them to have a greater understanding and empathy.

I'm grateful for your help. Have a whole lesson planned but still don't know how to work the success criteria!

Thanks,

CB

5. cbks0440

cbks0440 New commenter

I finally settled with putting this on the first slide:

[​IMG]

Then I put this on my lesson plan:
    Learning Objectives
    Who was Olaudah Equiano?
    How did he become a slave?
    How significant was Equiano in the abolishment of slavery?
    Learning Outcomes
    Students can explain who Olaudah Equiano is.
    Students will be able to explain the significance of Equiano’s autobiography on the anti-slavery campaign.

Hope this is OK...