1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

success criteria in maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by barley343, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Hi all
    any thoughts on this? I find that, having monitored planning, most people identify what are actually learning outcomes, not success criteria.
    the excellence and enjoyment materials list sc for measuring with a ruler as :
    identify where zero starts on ruler and the size of the intervals
    use intervals to line up object
    read from the scale on the ruler
    recognise that length does not change however it is measured.
    Does anyone feel that they have got success criteria right with maths? Anyone willing to share ideas? I know we tend to be very confident with identifying sc in writing, but I think this isn't the case in maths.
    old unit plans identify learning outcomes - but this is not always the same as success criteria

will be interested in all your thoughts
    barley
    x

2. found this on cumbria website - now could just do with the same things for the other trillions of objectives!

Success criteria summarise the key points that children need to understand as steps to success in achieving the learning objective.
    - Planning success criteria in short-term planning is vital to ensure focus on learning as opposed to activities
    - The success criteria, based on the objective, shape the teaching and modelling and provide the children?s focus while they are working.
    - Success criteria provide a framework for dialogue with the children
    - Where appropriate, children need to be engaged in the process of devising agreed success criteria

The learning outcome is what we expect children to be able to do after they have learnt it.
    i.e.

teaching objective
    - to add 9 by adding 10 & adjusting
    success criteria
    - can add 10
    - can subtract 1
    learning outcome
    - the child can apply an effective strategy to add 9
    teaching objective
    - to solve a problem by representing, extracting & interpreting data in line graphs
    success criteria
    - draw axes accurately
    - use intervals greater than one
    - plot points & join them accurately
    - extract information from the graph
    - interpret the information presented
    learning outcome
    - the child is able to represent, extract & interpret data on a line graph
    teaching objective
    - to measure and compare using standard units to the nearest whole unit or half unit using a ruler
    success criteria
    - identify where zero starts on the ruler and the size of intervals
    - use intervals on a ruler to line up the object (tail or head of snake)
    - read from the scale on the ruler (that is nearest to either head or tail)
    - recognise that length does not change however it is measured ? the measurement should be the same (from head to tail or tail to head)
    learning outcome
    - the child is able to measure accurately to the nearest unit using a ruler
    - the child is able to measure accurately to the nearest half unit using a ruler

3. these sound like Shirley Clarke process sc which are different to those sometimes shared on here.

For a lesson we would have a LO eg solving subtraction problems using column subtraction
    SC
    1) put larger number at top
    2) ensure all numbers in correct columns
    3) one digit per square
    4) start at units end and try to subtract bottom number from top
    5) when this isnt possible move to the left to see if and exchange can be made
    6) when you have an answer check using inverse operation (adding answer to smaller number that you subtracted)
    7) complete at least x amount of problems

Staff seem to find it harder in maths but shouldnt be really if see them as the small steps pupil will make to achieve LO

4. i agree bluerose
    do you have a bank of sc you draw on, or do the teachers (and children) generate them per lesson?

5. having to do it as go along has been a slow process and not all have got it yet !!!1

6. mikejcollins

mikejcollins New commenter

It doesn't allow children to be individuals and work it out on their own. They become robots and you tell them how to get to the answer. I teach with a lady who always write SC on the board for Year 2s and they must follow that process. I am sorry if I am asking a child to add numbers and they use a number line, start at the big number, vertical, horizontal method, I don't care as long as they get the answer and show me how they did it. SC can be very limiting in maths. Yes I know you have to show them sometimes how to do things but it is a bit ridiculous.

7. Yes but teaching is about teaching efficient methods, i aree that once confident with methods children should choose method they prefer

8. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

By year 6 the success criteria often includes "I have used an appropriate method to add" rather than details of a specific method.

9. I realise this is nit picking but i have two issues here - why are we using squared paper? Shouldn't the pupils know place value? and part 5) it is always possible to subtract two numbers...

10. Couldn't agree more. I have real issues with using squared paper, but I have been over ruled by people who allegedly know better. It's a bizarre concept that is a leftover from Victorian times. The only time I would use squared paper is when learning shape.

11. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Surely the same argument could go for writing on lined paper?

The squares make arranging columns easier. That seems a sensible invention to me.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it is much easier to train children to write in columns consistently, when using squares.

In fact in Germany they have 'elongated' squared-paper to help children with their writing too! It keeps the writing even-sized and helps them remember the 'finger-space'.

13. Taught properly, place value is just another thing pupils get to learn. Training them to use squared paper....when do we stop using it? Secondary schools still use them...why? What are these children going to do in the future? Sorry i cant work that out - i need some squares!