1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Success criteria in drama, anyone else struggling?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kc-t, Jan 14, 2020.

1. kc-t

kc-t New commenter

I started on my teaching journey back in September, and I have been struggling with the concept of 'success criteria'; how i'm measuring the success of the pupils, my teaching and progression of the class.

Has anyone else found this difficult?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It may be that your learning objective is too broad which is making this more difficult than it needs to be. Or that the lo isn't appropriate (do you know what progression looks like on the area you're teaching? The core subjects are broken down well in the NC but the foundation ones not so)

SC are just the things that you need to do in order to meet the learning objective. This means you could also have SC that identify how well they meet the LO.

3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Progress has gone. It’s a chimera. Set out what they are expected to learn over a sequence of lessons. Then assess to see whether they learned what they were supposed to learn and teach them it again if they didn’t learn it. Don’t try to compare that data to other data from another sequence of lessons. Keep it all really straightforward. Don’t have individual lesson objectives. Have overarching objectives for a number of lessons.