1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Success Criteria for knowledge-based Learning Objectives?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by swangemini, Jan 14, 2020.

1. swangemini

swangemini New commenter

Hello, I am currently reading 'Outstanding Formative Assessment' by Shirley Clarke and have a query about a statement on p83 in which the author says that only 'skills' learning objectives require accompanying success criteria and 'knowledge' learning outcomes do not. Do you agree and why?

2. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Who cares?

3. s_teach

s_teach New commenter

I agree. Who cares. What a load of old rubbish this LO and SC is

4. swangemini

swangemini New commenter

Do you share with the children what they are learning and how they are going to achieve it?

5. swangemini

swangemini New commenter

Do you share with the children what they are learning and how they are going to achieve it?

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

No. I like keep what they are learning a big secret.

(Although sometimes there are some unfortunate clues. Like everything we're reading, writing and talking about...)

TheOracleAtDelphi likes this.
  7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Not necessarily.
    It depends on the outcome of each individual lesson.
    If you wanted them to learn about the holocaust for instance, this would be knowledge but you might want them to focus on empathy, retrieval, or something else during the lesson so your SC would be built around these.

swangemini and TheOracleAtDelphi like this.
  8. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

The problem with my class is they think they are a ‘success’ if they have met the criteria or not. I think it’s fair to say we’ve agreed to disagree!

in all seriousness, I just try do what works for my class and sometimes I use criteria, sometimes not.

snowyhead and swangemini like this.
  9. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

I thought sc was pretty standard. At my school we do it like this:
    knowledge (which might be to recall a times table),
    Then fluency so might be a missing number question
    Then applying - word problem
    After that, there's a challenge or extension question like a true or false.

I always assumed that SC was required for every lesson. Children need to know how to be successful and often the knowledge helps with the skills. What do they need to know and master before they can apply it?

The LI is the understanding, knowledge and skills so why would our success criteria undermine that?

On a more important note, why are we worrying about this?!

swangemini likes this.
  10. swangemini

swangemini New commenter

Your lessons sounds very focused.

11. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I still use an LO but a very simple one -usually just two words. Don't bother constructing a SC with children anymore as it is a timewaster. If children are creating a longer piece of writing I might display a few bullet points: "how to be successful".

I know Year 6 colleages give children tick-box sheets that have interim statements on them because they have their eye on those assessed pieces of writing that get moderated.

swangemini likes this.