1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Success Criteria - anyone else struggle with this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AmberJ, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Title says it all really. Not sure why I find this so difficult. If, for example, I wanted a class to complete a conclusion to a story, what exactly would the SC be for that? I understand that the SC is the little stages that I want the chn to go through to get to the LO.

2. Title says it all really. Not sure why I find this so difficult. If, for example, I wanted a class to complete a conclusion to a story, what exactly would the SC be for that? I understand that the SC is the little stages that I want the chn to go through to get to the LO.

3. Hello,

I have always struggled with this too. At my previous school they called the success criteria Steps 2 success so in other words what do the children have to do to meet the L/I .o It's very easy to make the mistake by making the success criteria the task e,g, to write the conclsuion for the story. What it should be, I think, is more along the lines:
    1. To think about and plan how the story ends.
    2. To ensure that you have included verbs, adjectives etc.

Hope it helps

4. I thought a SC was just a child speak "i can.." statement for the LO.
    So for writing a conclusion to a story, the SC would be "I can write an ending for a story."

5. Don't know what YR you are, but if you pm me your e-mail, I can send great success criteria for literacy for KS2.

6. Success Criteria are meant to tell the children how the teacher will assess their work - how children will know whether the teacher thinks they have been successful or not. They should also be specific enough to enable children to self-assess. Ideally, they should be generated by the children themselves through a discussion.
    But I can see why you're having a problem getting SCs for this LO. What makes a successful conclusion? Generally I suppose it's tying up all the loose ends, answering all the questions, resolving all the conflicts, all the baddies get their comeuppance. But it also depends on the reader. I read The Alchemist, hoping for a great conclusion only to be really disappointed. Some found the conclusion life changing. And what if you want the baddies to win? Should an ending be predictable or not? Most classic stories have very predictable endings.
    Partly it depends on what your children's conclusions are like now. In my experience, children tend to rush them, abandoning any description when perhaps they should be slowly unpacking the ending and building suspense.

7. This is a tricky one, particulary when you are introducing an entirely new concept. I often generate the SC with the children themselves. However I teach Y5 and most of the children are able to do this, particularly as a result of group discussion. It is also interesting to find out what the children perceive to be "successful." We then self assess against this at the end of the lesson and when it comes to a final piece of writing, I refine the success criteria (and often differentiate it - e.g. will have more complex SC for my more able) and put it into a checklist which the children tick. This has been very useful for assessment and has allowed the children to really think about the SC.

8. Interesting point about differentiating the success criteria. One aspect of success criteria that confuses me is their relationship to individual targets. If a particular child's writing target is to write using paragraphs, would this be one of their individual (i.e. differentiated) success criteria, assuming it relates to the learning objective?

9. Thank you everyone for your replies. Lots to think about!
    Mikeyboy: I prefer the name ‘steps 2 success’ to success criteria. I think the chn would find that more accessible. During my PGCE, I too fell into the trap of making the success criteria the task!

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I generate this with the class for the end of unit piece of writing as during the unit I have been teaching all those little steps. So for a report success criteria would be: subheadings
    diagrams, caption, paragraphs etc.
    And we would have had lessons about these.
    So by the time children come to write that independent piece of writing they have been exposed to what makes that piece of writing a success.
    I find the nelson thornes ladders good though to give an idea of what you would be looking for: http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=241

11. Generating SC with children doesn't have to take a long time - after we've discussed the task and I've modelled it, I ask them what I will be looking for in their work and they (hopefully) remember some of the key points. Then I can point out the one they missed that was really important. It's a good way of checking that they remember the most important stuff.
    I use a variety of types:
    - a list of instructions (useful for maths strategies)
    - a list of things to remember (e.g. adverbs, different sentence openers, key topic words, etc)
    - a couple of I can... statements
    - must/should/could
    - sometimes generated with children, but more often not
    - sometimes printed out and stuck in books for the children to use as a checklist
    giggle. xx

12. We use...
    We are learning to - for lesson objective
    I am looking for - for success criteria.
    So...
    We are learning to write a sentence.
    I am looking for a capital letter, full stop, finger spaces and sentence making sense.
    We are learning to describe a character.
    I am looking for adjectives.
    We are learning to write instructions.
    I am looking for numbers, bossy verbs, instructions underneath eachother, instructions in order.
    Not sure if this is right...just what we do!

13. I try and make the success criteria as specific as possible - for example, for a conclusion it could be
    You will be successful if your conclusion describe how the problem was resolved.

or
    ambitious vocabulary....or I have used words from my word bank etc

Where children have not met the success criteria, ie poor vocab - I get them to improve these points, I may get simply write in incorrect spellings etc - I try and get them to focus on a few things.

14. Hi ed_ant2002
    I've just googled SC for literacy and found the conversation that you were involved in. I'm an NQT and teaching in year and seem to be having the same problems as most of the other people who commented. Would it be possible for you to send me the great SC you have for KS2?

Gemgemk

15. I will be implementing this across the school soon so could I also get a copyof your success criteria for KS2 literacy aswnat to help out staff as much as I can with it!

Thanks in advance
    ashtonjoanne@hotmail.com

16. haha have just seen the dates of these posts! If anyone has some success criteria for literacy I would be grateful for any examples to share with my staff. Many thanks