1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

subsumed...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sbkrobson, Sep 30, 2018.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I woke up at six this morning with a view to "doing my school stuff" and getting it done early so I could enjoy my afternoon.
    It didn't happen. There's too much. I've been at my desk all day, interspersing the work with posting inanely on here. And looking at the pile which at time of writing is about 50% complete.
    In other words I may still be working at midnight.

I suppose I'm not posting this as a dilemma, strictly speaking, just reaching out to see if anybody is lumbered today in the same way....I know the weekend work goes with the job,and it's not every weekend, and this weekend is an unhappy coincidence of many deadlines converging.....but still.

What is a weekend for if there is no obvious switch off point...?
    Perhaps I am about to succumb to some stress, the insidious sort. I'll just do one more hour. And another. And another. And another. And....whoops....gone crazy.

Thank you for letting me vent. Just wanted to send strength to those doing precisely the same administrative treadmill with their day. And maybe gain some back.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This is precisely why I stay at work until 6.00 or 6.30 and get work done there. If I try and do it at home I get distracted by TES/FB/etc and a half hour task takes about 4 hours!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't done much this weekend - I work very hard during the week - I deserve a break.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I feel your pain - many, many times in the past this has been me.
    What I have discovered is that by frittering the time away, it all takes much longer. Once you have done today's work, make a rule that one full day of the weekend will be work free. then on the other day, you will focus much better. You will feel much better for the mental break, too.
    Ideally, it would be both days of the weekend and at least three evenings a week, but the above sounds more likely as a starting point. If you get along fine on six days a week, and the sky doesn't fall in, then you try to reduce further...

zee210, roman_eagle, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Hi all

I brpigh home one class set of Macbeth essays and have briefly marked all but four and written and exemplar... this is less work that's I usually do but I also feel burnt out, resentful and maybe a but poorly.

Had to have a nap this afternoon and didn't even do this when my boy was a baby 20 years ago!

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I am in fact part time, having relinquished full time hours as"impossible" quite a few years ago.
    The thought of working both weekend days has never occurred to me. There's a world to see, family to share with, fresh air and fun. All that jolly stuff. And I have other work too, which is writing"stuff" to deadline
    But even on part time hours (o.5 this year) there are full time weeks, largely because I cannot skimp on the things which will impact on the classroom experience.
    Data? Stuff it-often slightly late.
    But assessing their work in order to bring them on next lesson-that's the one this weekend. And a couple of lessons which I need to differentiate six ways. The hell of mixed ability Y11 groups.
    Still going, still a few to do.
    I have placed an open bottle of wine at the other end of the room for when I've finished..
    We are watching each other...

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

strategic error, you sat down with an elastic deadline. Do not ever sit down with an elastic deadline.

alternatives are to make sure you dont have the means to carry work home, so it all HAS to be done before you leave, and once the school is getting locked up you have to go, whether you are finished or not

OR start at the last possible minute, and work like the clappers knowing that you can't dawdle through it because you don't have time, I do most of my planning for the day at 6am that day.....

School work expands to fill all time possibly available to it. Like gas and space. scientific fact.

8. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

' Brought '

9. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

What year group are you in?

10. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Yup! Fibromyalgia has really sped up my marking - I can't carry books home. It's stopped me working crazy hours - I can't survive on fewer than 7 hours sleep (and that's pushing it).

sbkrobson likes this.
  11. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I worked 6 hours yesterday, marking. Started at 7.30am, finished 1.30pm. I could have carried on but told myself I'd work until lunch and then rest, before I go insane! Have to rest or I will be no good to anyone. Enjoy that wine sbkrobson!

agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's very well put. Too right!
    I don't normally do this, but the week has been one of those where you multi task from 7 am til end of school, no breaks, everybody wants a piece of you. And the "quick word please" after school. Staying in the building to do rather intensive and abstract assessment after that was not an option. Sometimes you just need fresh air on your face.
    I still have a couple of papers to mark (AS German practice papers, nnnnnngh), and I've even just been out and run round the block to reignite my abilities,but d'you know what.
    Stuff it. It's wine o'clock.
    Mentally planning a silent lesson for y8 first thing tomorrow so I can try to simultaneously mark.
    Never gonna happen.....

agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Is the question for me?
    7 to 13.
    No 10s this year

agathamorse likes this.
  14. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

Hope you're having a well earned rest now!!

15. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As you said, @sbkrobson, staying after school often makes matters worse, due to the constant calls on your time. In some schools, there no longer is any time lessons, due to revision sessions, meetings, training sessions, etc. At my last school, we were still having 'voice recitals' when the caretaker started jangling his keys as a hint that wanted to lock up the building.

16. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I'm doing supply now, but in the past I've tried to do the following:

Take a step back and make a list of your priorities for just that day. Start somewhere, you will feel better if you've made a start.

Always be fully prepared for the next day, before you leave work the day before. Take as little home as possible. I'd often stay until 6.00 but got most done.

Working late at a computer makes me very dizzy so I don't even try. Computer work always done at work, exceeding a bit at weekends. I would bring a set of books home to mark instead. I always timed my marking, for KS3 at least, I'd aim to get a set of books done in under an hour. I get my OH to take phone and iPad away from me for that time.

If you find yourself with a mental block on something, step away from it, and come back to it after even half a day. I would never work a whole day on a weekend, I don't see how that is helpful in any way. I'm only six years into teaching but I know my physical limits and roughly how many hours I can work before I get ill.

Just a few ideas. I know it's much harder in practice.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

Agree -and another error might be in sitting opposite the wine bottle. Some teachers sadly treat alcohol as a reward for the extra time they put in. And soon its 'alcohol o clock' or something similar.

It is the start of a slippery slope for some
    There comes a time for some stressed teachers when they have to put their health first or risk being a functional heavy drinker, meandering from.one set of marking to another.

There's alot to be said for those teachers that refuse to be martyrs...:cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I did this when I was a new teacher. First drink was always at midnight, when I was marking, of course didn't realise when I made that rule, how often I would still be marking at midnight

19. install

install Star commenter

I had a mate who prefered the option of taking time off 'ill' to catch up with marking. She called it 'time owed'. And hated it when her marking was then praised. Slt created for her a vicious circle of 'time owed' over and over...But she refused to treat the booze as a reward. It seems teachers find their own way to deal with stresses .

20. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter