1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Substituting mince with lentils in Shepherds Pie

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by charlene_bell, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    In an aim to save a bit of money and eat a bit less meat I am planning to substitute some of the mince in my Shepherds Pie with lentils.
    Normally I usually just bung all my ingredients in my Slow Cooker and go to bed and by the morning I have lovely Shepherds Pie filling that only needs topping for Sunday Lunch.
    My question is - since I am planning to sub half my mince with lentils can I just bung the lentils in with everything else? They are green lentils in water in a can.
    Thanks in advance for your help x

2. Hi Guys,
    In an aim to save a bit of money and eat a bit less meat I am planning to substitute some of the mince in my Shepherds Pie with lentils.
    Normally I usually just bung all my ingredients in my Slow Cooker and go to bed and by the morning I have lovely Shepherds Pie filling that only needs topping for Sunday Lunch.
    My question is - since I am planning to sub half my mince with lentils can I just bung the lentils in with everything else? They are green lentils in water in a can.
    Thanks in advance for your help x

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

As they are already cooked, there is no need to cook them further. Cook the filling as normal then drain and rinse the lentils, add to the filling and make as normal.
    Dry lentils would be cheaper to use though.

4. Yeah they're already cooked. Agree that dried ones would be cheaper but as a first venture I thought I'd just buy a tin.
    Don't know how my OH is going to react to me hiding "chicken feed" in his dinner so didn't want to be left with a big bag of lentils I can't use.
    Thanks for the tip will add them tommorrow before I put the topping on

5. That's how I started, Charlene.
    Now he buys the dried ones and cooks with them regularly!
    There's nothing like a bit of subterfuge and the option of tins makes it all the easier [​IMG]

6. It actually looks really yummy, much more interesting than the normal version. Rather looking forward to lunch