1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subsidised child places in Europe. Common or not?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sid1913, Apr 20, 2019.

1. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

There's a vacancy at a British School in Netherlands **nudge nudge** but try as I might, I can't find any information on whether kids' places are subsidised and for how long. I understand Dutch laws are changing as of 2019 and you only get 5 years at 30% tax but how does this effect children's fees?

I already turned a job down in The Hague at a different school as after 5 years I would have to pay tuition, albeit, it was 7000 euros a year. I just wanted to know how this British School in the Netherlands faired up.

Any help much appreciated.

2. karel

karel Occasional commenter

The free school placed goes along with the 30 % ruling. So if you are eligible for that, which you should be, the fees are covered, tax free. But after the 30% rule they won’t be covered anymore. Perhaps the school has an arrangement where they still cover the cost but it then becomes s taxable benefit, like it is in Germany. This is certainly a very important consideration to be sure about.

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

In Spain, employees have a legal right to free tuition in the school they work at.

4. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

so in other words, after 5 years I'd have to pay for tuition or at least pay a subsidised fee. If only I knew how much was subsidised. Could end up being half my wage.

5. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Unfortunately Spain pay peanuts, unless I'm mistaken. A few schools in Asia are now asking for 10% of tuition fees. This was unheard of a few years ago.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The only way to know for sure is to hear from the school.

7. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Yep, which involves another application, more reference chasing and then with a high possibility of saying 'no' if I don't like what I hear. zzzz

8. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

This is true, although some schools do pay fairly well these days... not at the level you’d get in China or the ME, but certainly enough to live comfortably...