1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Submitted an application too soon! What would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by andrew07, Jul 18, 2015.

  1. andrew07

    andrew07 Occasional commenter

    I've been working as a supply teacher a various schools around the Blackpool area. However, I have been to this particular school a lot and they really like me. The school is fantastic and the kids are really nice. The staff are very friendly which is something you don't often see. They keep asking me back. Now, one of the members of staff has approached me to put in an application for a last minute vacancy. I told the member of staff that I was only available for a very limited number of days in the week. I completed the application not really being sure that contract teaching is something that I want to get back into considering the bad luck I have had at being taken on from supply at a previous school and the school that I originally worked at for many years.

    Now, I've also been informed by my other commitment as to what my upcoming year will be like and I've already submitted the application. Would it damage my chances of being asked back at this school as a supply teacher if I turn down the job (if I am shortlisted and pass the interview) or withdraw my application. The last thing I want to do is to upset them and not be asked back because this is my regular school.
     
  2. scienceteachasghost

    scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

    It depends on how much you like/value the 'other commitment.'
     
  3. jago123

    jago123 Established commenter

    As scienceteachasghost said, it all depends how much you value your other commitments and would you be prepared to prioritise your teaching career over it? It's your sole decision to make.
     
  4. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    I'm not quite clear what your situation is.

    Did you state in your application that you are only available some days? You might have mentioned it to that colleague, but it would have been sense to say so in the application, unless you were considering quitting the other commitment.

    If you are now committed elsewhere, then withdraw. This shouldn't be a problem; schools often have people withdraw before interview because they've been offered another job.

    If the issue is that your other commitment now leaves you available for fewer/different days, then contact the school you've applied to and explain that. They may still be interested in you for the post, and if not, then you've done them the courtesy of letting them know as soon as possible, and they'll probably keep you on their books as potential supply for the days you are available.

    If the problem is that you're unsure at the moment what you would prefer to do, then you need to think about what will determine your decision. You already know the school. You probably don't know what they would be offering you in terms of pay, but you may be able to get an idea from their pay policy. If your indecision boils down to things which you are not going to find out at interview, then you should try and sort out what you think before you get that far. I get the impression you may be nervous about taking on a non-supply post because of previous bad experiences. I was once in that situtation, and unsure about applying for a post. In the end, I realised that I couldn't construct a better post (good department, right number of hours, location, etc) and so if I didn't apply for this one, I was saying that I was never applying for another post. It sounds as if you like this school, they like you, and it may be the best chance for you to put the bad experiences behind you.
     
  5. DYNAMO67

    DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

    It is like the above say. You have to decide whether or not the other commitment is worth it. It is really hard to say though without knowing the ins and outs of the other commitment. It also depends on your financial position.

    I would always say to fit other commitments around work. Then again as a relative youngster I have no alternative. I have mortgage to pay and am looking towards starting a family. Your circumstances may be different.

    If you are not intersted but want to keep supply, be upfront with them. Don't let this drag on. Be honest about your position.
     

Share This Page