1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject working groups

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Hammers, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Has anyone applied to join one of these? I couldn't find a deadline for the application and I sent in my application at the start of July. Has anyone heard anything back from the SQA? Thanks in advance.

2. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hmmmmmm.... at my school these "Working Groups" are compulsory and we all have to be in one. It was offered to us first on a voluntary-basis and no-one volunteered (of course - we all do enough as it is!), then we were told it was non-negotiable and we were told which groups we were in. But, if we want to change, we are allowed to - how nice.
    First I've heard of SQA - can you tell me more Hammers?

3. I didn't make it very clear in the previous post; it's nothing to do with school-based working groups. In June, the SQA asked for applicants to assist in developing the new national qualifications (Access - Advanced Higher). There is more informaion here: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/34644.html

4. Count your blessings, joni. We're just told. Period.

5. jonowen

Has there been a reduction in after-school activities CG? Have you been told how long these working groups will have to run for and what role does your SMT play in these WGs? In our school these WG meetings are on top of all the extra meetings, Parents nights etc...etc...that we agreed as our extra time.

6. joni, in my school the WG time is negotiated collectively as part of the "190 hours." The SMT decides on the purpose/project of each WG and directs its activities through the school year. And yes, as in your school, this is on top of regular staff meetings, parent nights, extra-curricular duties with the children, report-writing time, etc etc, which is all done outside of teaching time.
    Every hour has to be accounted for, apparently. Except the ones they don't count, i.e., the hours you spend doing school-work, mostly marking, planning, and preparation, at home at night and on the weekends and during the holidays.

7. jonowen

Oh dear, I have been working on a long-term project with a group of lovely pupils and this comes to an end in 4 weeks. I havn't been going regularly to the WG meetings (I'm not the only one not going either) and when I was told about the next one (this week) I asked the SMT person if I could be excused until this very time consuming project is finished. SMT answered "Of course, just so long as you are doing your extra hours!"
    We have also been told by HT that ANY research into relevant education counts towards the extra hours. I have friends who teach at schools where like you CG, every hour has to be accounted for and others where things are not so strict.
    On another topic, we have special CfE activities for our new S1s and most of them do not like it, they would rather be doing more formal class work. What a muddle, but I am pleased to be in work (and more pleased to be on the upwards side of 50!!)
    Joni
    [​IMG]

8. I applied to join one well before summer. The advertisement said that successful applicants would be notified over summer. It is now October and still no word. I contacted them directly to enquire about this and they said that they were still selecting candidates. Meanwhile, the posts are still being advertised - ?!?

But then, would we really expect something sensible, rational and on time from any party associated with the shambles that is CfE?

9. I am in the same situation Cinnamon. I applied at the beginning of July and have only received the automated "we have received your application" reply. I can't see a deadline for submitting applications on the website, but assumed that since it said we would be notified over the summer, to get it in asap.

It now makes me reluctant to want to be part of something that appears to be so disorganised!

10. Yes, telephone interviews for most SQA/CfE subject working groups were held last summer. Most subjects now have draft course summaries, rationales and content is currently being discussed. I know in the Business Education area, we are well down the line with ours.
    Lee Coutts