1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Specific Ofsted Inspection

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by richieflash, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hi all

We're expecting an Ofsted inspector this Tuesday and Wednesday to carry out a subject specific inspection in the geography department. SMT have been telling us all to be prepared for observations. I've been trying to find some information all over the internet about these inspections but I can't find an answer to my query.

As a science teacher, is there any chance that the inspector will pay me a visit? From what I have read about these kinds of inspections, they are more concerned with SOW and data from their chosen department. I'm just wondering whether or not to spruce up my lesson plans and get all my books up to date. It'll be a rather tiring Monday evening if so!

We had a full Ofsted report last year and I believe this inspection is due to our new found academy status. I've only been teaching for 3 years so I've not had chance to witness any other kind of Ofsted inspection.

If someone who has recently had a subject specific inspection at their school could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Hi all

We're expecting an Ofsted inspector this Tuesday and Wednesday to carry out a subject specific inspection in the geography department. SMT have been telling us all to be prepared for observations. I've been trying to find some information all over the internet about these inspections but I can't find an answer to my query.

As a science teacher, is there any chance that the inspector will pay me a visit? From what I have read about these kinds of inspections, they are more concerned with SOW and data from their chosen department. I'm just wondering whether or not to spruce up my lesson plans and get all my books up to date. It'll be a rather tiring Monday evening if so!

We had a full Ofsted report last year and I believe this inspection is due to our new found academy status. I've only been teaching for 3 years so I've not had chance to witness any other kind of Ofsted inspection.

If someone who has recently had a subject specific inspection at their school could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

3. DM

DM New commenter

Unless you teach in the Geography Dept you won't be observed.

4. Thanks DM! I'll sleep a little bit better tonight!

5. The only thing I can think of is if you have some kind of Geography display in your classroom, making sure that it's up to date? I know when we had a Maths inspection (which I guess involves more than Geography) they looked at a sample of books. Guess if they are all up to date and they suddenly come into your room last-minute asking for books it won't be too much of a shock!

6. The subject survey criteria are available from :
    This link
    Give it to your head of geography and he'll love you forever