1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject responsibility

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by terri1972, Apr 14, 2011.

1. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi. I am an NQT applying for a job. The letter states that all teachers at the school have subject responsibility and asks to state subject expertise/interest and "if appropriate the willingness to take on something new (unless an NQT)".
    I am quite keen to take on a subject at some point, but my questions are these:
    1. Can I take on a subject as an NQT?
    2. Does this subject responsibility mean the same as TLR?
    Thankyou
    Terri

2. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi. I am an NQT applying for a job. The letter states that all teachers at the school have subject responsibility and asks to state subject expertise/interest and "if appropriate the willingness to take on something new (unless an NQT)".
    I am quite keen to take on a subject at some point, but my questions are these:
    1. Can I take on a subject as an NQT?
    2. Does this subject responsibility mean the same as TLR?
    Thankyou
    Terri

3. I replied on the other thread.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

that is not strictly legal, teachers can be asked to undertake certain task s but our ocntract says specifically that we cannot be made responsible or accountable for a subject, just directed to participate in coordinated efforts
    yes, but I would seriously question the competence of any head that asked you to.
    If it is real responsibility, yes, if it is merely cooperating with others in a particular curriculum area, no.
    you will find many on these forums who disagree with my viewpoint - especially heads who do not share it (and coincidentally don't have TLRs for subject responsibility in their schools) and others who often seem to be working in the same kind of school and are denied payment for extra responsibility.

5. My answers here will assume you're a primary teacher:
    Possibly but it wouldn't be good practice. Best to focus on meeting the NQT standards this year and take on a subject in your second year.
    No.