1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Leadership

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by School Boy Error, Mar 31, 2011.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Can you be forced to take a subject leadership role that you don't want?
    Thanks

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

no, it's not part of our role, although cooperating in such endeavours is.

3. Yes.
    Simple as that!

4. School Boy Error

It's almost victimisation. Why should I, out of 20+ members of staff, have to take on a huge subject leadership role with no TLR or other incentives?

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

sbe, you simply don't have to, especially under those circumstances. If pressure is being brought to bear on you contact your union and refuse (politely but firmly) to discuss the issue without a union official (not your school rep) present.
    In the meantime, for some reassurance, download and read the STPCD 2010, the legally enforceable document governing our work (assuming you are in the state sector and not one of the newer free-for-all or independent school types), look carefully at Section 2 paras61 and following regarding the professional responsibilities of non-leadership/AST etc etc teachers.

6. Not surew which sector you work in but c'est la vie - certainly within primary schools, even worse small primaries - some teachers have to wear multiple lead hats....
    Tkae it as an opportunity to develop your CV....
    Look at vacancies - MOST will expect a subject role - if you have escaped so far you have been lucky....
    At best you maybe able to negotiate shared leadership.....

7. 61.6 Work with others on curriculum and/or pupil development to secure coordinated
    outcomes.
    61.10 Direct and supervise support staff assigned to them and where
    appropriate, other teachers.
    61.11 Contribute to the recruitment, selection, appointment and professional
    development of other teachers and support staff.
    61.12 Deploy resources delegated to them.
    61.14 Participate in arrangements for their own further training and
    professional development, and, where appropriate, that of other
    teachers and support staff including induction.
    61.16 Collaborate and work with colleagues and other relevant professionals
    within and beyond the school.

Yes lead a subject could easily come under all of the above!!!

8. School Boy Error

Thanks Beckton, I have emailled my union because my head has said he can force me to undertake this role. I currently have a subject that, in all honesty, doesn't take much time. He is demanding that I take on another role that will take a considerable amount of time are we are a large primary with over 400 pupils but with no incentives.
    Why should I when people in the school are on the upper pay scale (I am still main) and they manage a much smaller subject? Good will will only take you so far and then they are taking the p**s. Essentially, you work to live not live to work.

9. Arguably other teachers on UPS mst be fulfilling some additional roles though to be there....
    Sadly this is commonplace within primaries - not saying its right - but its only going to get worse with the cuts etc....
    If you don't like it and can get out now and find a new job - by all means go the union route - but expect to burn your bridges.... what will happen when you want out/references....
    Maybe better to bide your time or atleast think of a solution such as job share - or even better a team of leaders for it???

10. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

The non-state schools I mentioned can opt out of the protection afforded us by the STPCD, which makes clear in Section 3 that
    86. Teachers are expected to contribute, both orally and in writing as
    appropriate, to curriculum development by sharing their professional
    expertise with colleagues and advising on effective practice. This
    does not mean that they can be expected to take on the responsibility
    of, and accountability for, a subject area .
    As to primaries, well that isn't la vie as I know it in my area where subject leadership commonly has a TLR attached. The only research I know of into this (not scanning job adverts) was undertaken a few years ago and found a little over half of primary subject leaders in receipt of a TLR.

11. School Boy Error

I think the easiest option is to look elsewhere. It makes me so angry that in education you can give and give and give and give and then when you say no you are forced into because if you say no you're not seen as a team player or if you contact the union you pay £160 a year exactly for things like you say you burn your bridges. The staff that are on UPS offered something as they went through threshold and once their stay there but dont do anything in addition to their role. Bad management? Yes. But that isn't a reason to punish me.

12. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

There is no requirement on UPS teachers to undertake a subject ladership role either, the Standards make that fairly clear.

13. School Boy Error

Thank you that was just what I was looking for. So it turns out my contract says the complete opposite of what my head said and I cannot be forced to undertake a subject leadership role without payment.

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

no leadership in any of that directing your TA and using the unifix cubes delegated to you doesn't really make you a subject leader either......especially given that 'Cataloguing, preparing, issuing and maintaining materials and equipment and stocktaking the same' is specifically not one of our roles.

15. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No. Indeed why would the monkey paid 5 peanuts have any incentive to climb higher for the same 5 peanuts?

16. Not sure which plant (nor zoo in case of last poster) some of you are on....
    A part of primary school teaching has always been the role of suject co-ordinators, with the exception of NQTs who are not legally expected to do so...
    Think about it - how many curriculum areas, regardless of delivery methods used - how many possible TLRs - especially in smaller schools... there is no many for this...
    You don't come into eaching for the money surely! If you do you need your head read as you'll never be a millionaire.
    The best you can suggest is teams of subject leaders to share the load as I stated earlier.
    Alternatively go the union route and eventually end up without a job - how will it look when moving on - further up the payscale and never held any positions of responsibility/accountability? I wouldn't employ a more expensive teacher that can only teach - and to be fair the HT isn't obligated to overly praise your ability in this one area!
    ATM it is an employer's market.... have a look at the vacancies - I can tell you from our short listing we received a 100+ applications where we would have only had 25 max 18 months ago... and they were all trying to sell themselves with how many areas they have experience of leading, how many after schools/lunch clubs they have run, fetes this and that....
    Not saying I agree with it, I don't - but a reality check sometimes tells you to bide your time and just get on with it.

17. School Boy Error

You don't sound bitter at all.

18. Best thing I ever did!
    Where as you sound like a whinger - want the money/holidays and intend to do very little for it... I didn't like it so took the plunge rather than just trying to moan and groan, pushing the workload onto others and not being proactive....

19. Who are you replying to?

20. The OP.... never said I liked/agreed with the system - but that's what we have...