1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject lead with No TLR or support

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Zoeart85, Sep 17, 2019.

1. debbie6899

debbie6899 New commenter

I have been inspected under the new framework. Maths, English and Science leads were expected to know similar to what was posted above. A few other subjects were seen as a group of teachers with an ofsted inspector, this included the humanities lead who was new to the role. I as maths lead had an hours meeting on my own! The group of teachers had about a half hour meeting together. As the poster above says, they are looking that you are starting to get your head round your subject, but do not expect it to be top notch as yet. Our leads have started with an action plan, a clear intent if their subject, done idea of progression and coverage throughout school, and an idea of god skills are assessed. This is where I would begin. I certainly do not think such a role warrants a TLR, but you should be given some time out of class to begin to form your action plan etc. I appreciate as EYFS lead you will have little idea of what goes on higher up in school, but every teacher could say this in any year group. The way you was given the role is awful, and in primaries many are just told what they are without any consideration of their interests/strengths etc. It is doable however. Don’t panic, accept that you are at the beginning of the journey, and negotiate some time with SLT to begin to formulate a plan.
    Hope that helps :)

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Presumably history & geography is being taught in the school?
    There must already be a long-term plan.
    Teachers must be working from some kind of humanities curriculum, and have the medium term plans in place.

So you don't really have to do anything immediately.

You could develop a timeline of what you plan to do with this subjects over the next 3 years, beginning with an audit of what is already happening, discussion with staff as to what is working and what needs to change, resource issues, etc. That should satisfy OFSTED.

And remember the National Curriculum gives you a fairly detailed framework of what is covered in KS1 and lower & upper KS2 - get familiar with that.

You don't need to start from scratch, nor reinvent the wheel.

Pomza, Zoeart85 and agathamorse like this.
  3. Zoeart85

Zoeart85 New commenter

Thank you, very helpful advice