1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject knowledge

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by likejesus, Jul 24, 2011.

1. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

I'm topping up my subject knowledge ahead of September using the excellent Achieving QTS books, and over the course of the day I've become au fait with digraphs and phonemes, have learned how to identify a comma splice, and can now name you several uncountable concrete nouns.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg, however. There is still a considerable amount to do. I did the first chapter of the science audit test book and became very alarmed that I knew little about the science being taught in primary schools these days!
    How is everyone else's subject knowledge revision going?

2. I'm doing a Secondary PGCE and even though my degree is subject I'm teaching, and even though I got a first, and even though i've just graduated.....I still think I have ZERO subject knowledge.

I think it's like revising for an exam, there is that much to do that you get overwhelmed but when the exam is in front of you - it's probably not that bad.

Then again, it could be totally awful and we could crash and burn....back to the books then :p