1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Knowledge Enhancement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by DBetney, Aug 27, 2018.

1. DBetney

DBetney New commenter

Hi everyone. I am due to start a PGDE in Secondary English and I am very excited about it. The thing that is concerning me a little is that I am 27 and that my subject knowledge might not be up to scratch. I am trying to familiarise myself with what I think will be the key texts from the GCSE and A-Level specifications but aside from this does anyone have any advice they could pass along? Is there anything anyone wishes they had known in relation to this before they started or was there anything in particular that helped people out before they started their course?

Thanks very much in advance!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Familiarise yourself with the content of the GCSEs by looking at the specifications and example papers for the exam boards AQA, Edexcel, OCR etc. The better you understand the content of the exams, the better you'll understand what they need to learn in KS3.

Also familiarise yourself with primary curriculum content, e.g. fronted adverbials.

If you want a free online course to boost knowledge: http://www.open.edu/openlearn/histo.../?filter=date/grid/589,597,588/all/0/all/all/

3. oscillator

oscillator Occasional commenter

PGDE - are you in Scotland?

4. DBetney

DBetney New commenter

Thanks very much for the suggestions they sound like good directions to head in. Those free online courses look great as well!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  5. DBetney

DBetney New commenter

Nope I'll be doing a PGDE at Liverpool John Moores University. It gives extra credits towards a Masters.