1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

subject knowledge enhancement

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by indonesia39, Dec 26, 2011.

1. I'm an experienced PGCE Primary teacher and I've done 3 OU Mathematics courses in the last couple of years.I am interested in teaching secondary Maths(obviously only KS3,KS4,GSCE standard to start with) but my first degree is Science.From what I've found out unfortunately I'm not eligible to undertake the SKE course as I already have a PGCE.
    Does anyone have any advice as to my best way forward? Is it possible to buy the materials used on these courses for example?What about secondary Maths Pedagogy books?There are so many on Amazon,any advice on the the most useful ones?Are there any other courses that people would recommend,for example the OU Teaching Mathematical Thinking at KS3.
    I'm very willing to do lots of work,although I do feel confident that I could do well at this but I don't want to be a 'blagger.'Without being overdramatic I'd never want to waste a child's opportunity although we were all NQTs once! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. In terms of pedagogy, ask five different secondary teachers and you will likely get five different answers, just read some of the discussions on here.

On a more serious note, there are increasing numbers of pupils in some schools who are entering Year 7 working at Level 3 or below, certainly input from someone adaptable but primary trained would be highly valued there (a school where I used to work recently appointed someone with a primary background with just this in mind). Working in a supportive department, I'm sure you would soon start to feel comfortable with other aspects of secondary work. Best of luck!

3. Hiya, this is my first post, so please bear with me:) I am currently a PGCE student (secondary Mathematics) and have completed a one year SKE course.
    Personally even though I did my GCSE's 20 yrs ago, I didn't think the SKE was very relevant to me. I too want to concentrate on KS3/4 and GCSE but we spent most of the time working through MEI A Level Maths, (C1,C2,C3,C4 and statistics).
    I wasn't the only person to think this! One of the girls who studied with me had a degree in maths and even she thought the material could have been more KS3, KS4 and GCSE.
    Personally I have learnt more from Edexcel Maths textbooks (slowly building up a massive collection!) than the SKE course.
    Good luck.

4. There interesting comments. Why did you feel the course wasn't particularly relevant? Do you feel that there's a lot of the current KS3-4 material you're not competent with? Have you found that whilst the SKE dealt with your own mathematical understanding the PGCE has more of an emphasis on KS3-4 maths and how to teach it?

5. (And I meant to ask, why was someone with a maths degree doing a SKE?).