1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Knowledge condition

Discussion in 'History' started by katnoodle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

How will they check that you know enough? If it were me I'd ask them for a bit more guidance, but otherwise I'd look at the National Curriculum description for these areas and then get some school textbooks so you have a good idea of what to focus on. My school uses the SHP textbooks (both the old versions with titles - Contrasts and Connections and Peace & War - and the new ones without) at Key Stage 3. Good luck!

2. Hi there, The key is not to try and learn everything which is impossible but just be able to say one or two intelligent things about the period. For the British history why not just read history of modern britain and making of modern britain by andrew marr. That covers most of the period and you can always watch the videos if that appeals (all on youtube or constantly on yesterday). Do a bit of wikipedia ing (let's face it, a very useful starting point) on queen victoria and the Napoleonic wars and Bobs your uncle (explanation of which is in the making of modern britain). Presumably you want to teach history as you enjoy it and that is a good background. For the medieval stuff I know nothing so cant give you any pointers on that!

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Ian Mortimer's books on th Middle Ages & Elizabethan England would be a good starting point, an/or Simon Schama's DVDs & accompanying book on the History of Britain.

4. They want me to fill in a detailed table with main themes, actors, dates, events and consequences. It will all count towards my subject knowledge portfolio for the PGCE apparently. . . I asked for more guidance, I just got told modern British history including the home front, and other rather vague information like that. I feel like I'm trying to pass an exam when I don't know what subject I'm studying!

5. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

That is frustrating. I agree with FolkFan - Simon Schama's History of Britain is a pretty good place to start and even after studying history with great enthusiasm from an early age, my own "big picture" of British history owes a lot to his series.