1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Knowledge Audit

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by dizzymai, May 15, 2008.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I'd be interested in this too

2. Hi guys

Had to do one for my DRB. It was a bit of a faff but worth it. I have recently updated it after starting GTP in September - the before and after audits have formed the basis of Q14, an can be applied to other standards.

Can only really comment on Secondary - a Primary one would need to be broader. The ideal place to start would the Naional Curriculum for what you have to teach. You should have an idea of how comfortable you are with what you have to teach. I found the easiest way to do this was using the text books the students will use.

So for me I separated the topics I might have to teach at KS3 and KS4. I graded myself in 3 categoies based on
    1. Happy with the subject matter so will have a go teaching it straight away.
    2. Not so sure about this stuff.
    3. Oh my god - did I ever do this at school? I need to work on it.

That's all they want - a scale of 3 or 4 levels of self assessment on subject matter. Remember - it is not an audit of teaching ability. You are not expected to teach yet. Just of whether you'll need to learn it all.

The listing of all the topics is the cumbersome part so if possible text books will help. Make the audit table pretty too - can maybe be used for Q17/Q23 if you need it.

Hope that's of use.
    cheers tojo

3. Thanks that's a great help! So if I did an audit now or over the summer, it would still count towards my standards?

Does anybody who has done one for primary have any advice?

4. There are lots of things you could be doing now which you could be using for standards (see other recents threads). Having said that, don't do things purely to knock standards off as you'll have plenty of evidence in a year. Do things that will be useful for September.

A subject audit is one. Make annotated notes on any books, staff handbooks, etc you read from now on and that is good evidence. Then try to assign which standards it meets yourself. Very good practice.

Sorry I am no help with primary.

Cheers and good luck
    tojo

5. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Primary subject knowledge audit, anybody??

6. Dizzymai- I have found a template for the subject knowledge audit with the information I've been given about my GTP. If you'd like me to email you this as a starting point, let me know. I don't know if they're specific to different DRBs but it may help? Doesn't look as scary as I'd imagined it to be, just long-winded!

7. When I did my Subject Knowledge Audit for Primary last year I used the schemes of work from the Standards website http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes3/

In the pull down menu in the purple box it lists the subject areas you will need to cover in your training as a primary teacher along with the key stages they apply to.

For my DRB we had to list all of the units for each subject and then decide whether we were totally familiar, reasonably familiar or unfamiliar with the general content of each unit.

What key stages will you be covering. If it's KS1 and 2 I'll see if I can find the word file I used as it could save you a lot of time.

8. Thanks so much! I will be doing KS1 and 2 so that word file would be fantastic if you don't mind?

9. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

Hello

If you find it could you send it to me to, I am also doing Primary.

Thank you very much

10. Hi, I'm also starting primary this September and would be very grateful for this document, if you can find it. Thanks in anticipation!

11. JT77

JT77 New commenter

Hi. If you can find it then I'd be very grateful of the document too Beachcomber112. My e-mail address is jillthistle@hotmail.com.

Many thanks.

12. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

13. Hello,

If you find it could u pls send it to me as well. I'm doing primary too.
    Thanks

email: mzarashmi@hotmail.co.uk

14. Hello. I am starting primary in September KS1 and 2, I would be really grateful if you could send me a copy too. Many thanks. mcdonald102@btinternet.com

15. Hi, I'm starting primary GTP in September too, please could i also have a copy of this file.

email: littlehayley44@hotmail.com

Thanks so much xx

16. Hi beachcomber thank you for your help! It would be very useful as Im starting the primary GTP for KS1 and KS2 this year. Could you send me the file that you have? Thank you so much. x

P.S is your name any relation to a club in Benidorm? Long shot I know!

17. Hi all,

You may all find the following link useful as the audit tests on this site (English, maths and science) and percentage score, look very similar to the audit tests handed out by my training provider. I am doing primary GTP.

http://www.learningmatters.co.uk/education/audittests.asp