1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject co-ordinator workload

Discussion in 'Primary' started by harchie, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Unless you are paid then you are not accountable for your subjects.
    You should be given co-ordinators release time to complerte the tasks you have ben asked to do.
    Check with your union.

2. Hiya! Im a foundation subject coordinator and we have at least an afternoon a term out of class to get stuff done. Although if there are members of staff off sick, our time is the first to go!
    Try explaining that you'd appreciate an hour or two if possible and see what they say. For two subjects, i would of thought you'd be given some time! Or at least get paid more!
    Kiki [​IMG]

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

yep that seems the norm. sometimes if i have a lot to do - eg arts week, i ask for a bit more ppa time / non-contact time to do specific tasks and this has always been granted

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have responsibility for Science and have no extra time or money for it.

Literacy and Maths co-ords are also phase leaders and they get an afternoon a week management time, but also an extra meeting a week.

That is life...no point making a big fuss in primary schools, especially smallish ones. All our staff, apart from NQTs are co-ordinators, no way could we all have extra time each week. Probably if we asked every now and then for some time for something specific, we would get it, but not just for general co-ordination bits.

5. I guess it depends on how flexible your release time system is. Our Arts Leaders would get time out of class to prepare for Arts Week but this a rarity. The P.E. Co-ordinator has no time to arrange matches/book minibuses etc.
    Is that a rule that you are not responsible unless you are being paid for it? Where has that come from? If everyone took that stance, nothing would get done surely?

6. missied

missied New commenter

Thanks for the replies.
    I was interested to know what others are expected to do. It's become more of an issue because we've been given time in the past to do specific jobs eg: write action plans, update planning, monitor work etc. It was only ever an afternoon once a term but the time was given - now we're being directed to do more work but in our own time.
    I do have every intention of checking with the union but as it's been the holiday I'm only just starting to think about returning to work on Weds and the union aren't available until then either.