1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject co-ordinator - book scruitinies

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AM_48, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AM_48

AM_48 New commenter

Hello,
    I've recently been asked as subject leader of foundation subjects to look at cross-curricular maths coverage. This is something that was a result of last years book scrutiny - there were lots of writing opportunities but not as many maths. It's been suggested I do this by looking at books and mapping out coverage...however as I have never had to do any thing like this before I'm a bit lost how to do this...any tips/advice? Any templates or previous records anyone has to set an example?
    It sounds like a MASSIVE job to do this whole school and I'm worried about not knowing the KS2 maths curriculum very well as I've always taught in KS1. I'm only in my third year of teaching so it's all new to me. Advice much appreciated. Thanks.

2. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Just ask the teachers to bring one or two books to a regular staff meeting and note down the types of stuff being covered. Science books might have graphs, charts, tables etc. That might stimulate a conversation but allow staff to chat about it, don't have preconceived ideas about what 'should' be in books.

If they want it 'mapping out' then have a nosey at the NC online later and see where it matches up. Make a brief record of it for your file.

In all honesty, speaking as an experienced teacher, it's not a task that is hugely important in the grand scheme of things, it's more a coordinator monitoring activity, so overdoing it on the paperwork side shouldn't be necessary. If you're questioned by SLT or an inspector, you can confidently give a few examples and everyone should be happy.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Completely honestly, I think it will be a quick job. I think you can probably flick through a few books (3 from each class?) and establish where maths is used. It will most likely be rare!! Then just note down for each year group what subject it was in and what area of maths it was. Likely to be graphs, tables, averages, perhaps a Venn diagram?

4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

If poss ask for some staff meeting time for ppl to note down any links in their long term plans. Then you can have a look in the books see if these have been made. If they haven't or tchrs are unsure, maybe you could use some time to suggest ideas/activities as a team or with the Maths coordinator. I'd then get highlighting the Maths NC objectives for each year group or copied into a doc saying what gets covered.