1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Change

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mattebbs, Jan 10, 2016.

1. mattebbs

mattebbs New commenter

First of all, I would like to preface this post by saying I enjoy teaching English, however it is becoming more and more apparent to me that I would like to be teaching History. I studied English Lit and American Studies at Uni, the latter being heavily History based, however, due to having an uninspiring History teacher at school, I haven't actually got any other qualifications in the subject than my degree.

I am currently an NQT and doing well in terms of observations and delivering lessons, however I have been grappling with this since starting. I had taken on some History lessons during my PGCE placements and loved them.

My question really is; if I were to apply to History posts in the future, how much would my current English teaching job be a drawback? What can I do to prevent this- for example are there courses available out there? Or would you even advise taking a History A-Level part time? I recognise that I am at the start of my career so I don't need to really rush things, however I would like to start putting things in place now wherever necessary to avoid the awkward questions later down the line!

Thank you in advance.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As a former Head of History (among other things) I certainly wouldn't say it is impossible to get a job teaching some History (KS3 esp.) but it's unlikely you could get a post with Exam classes without some experience.

I would suggest that you try and get some experience teaching a History class or two at your present school, get involved in the History department, observe some History teaching etc. Taking A level History would show commitment, but I'm not sure would guarantee a job! But if you want to do it, then it can't hurt your chances later.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

As another historian, i agree with the above. It is not outside the realms of possibility that you could teach KS3 history. I am dubious as to whether you would get anything higher though. I also think there is more likely to be slack in an English timetable, rather than a history one. Therefore, if you were asking the other way round, then there may be more chance.

I would probably leave off history A level for now. Your reasoning seems to be career based. I do not think it will help and as a NQT you have enough on your plate.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Isn't History struggling to recruit like nearly all secondary subjects (apart from PE)?
    Presumably it would be relatively easy to pick up an English job and then gradually drift into History as and when such became available. In my school there are quite a few teachers who have been forced into various subject, including History, just to satisfy timetabling needs.