1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject change DT to Art

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gudonist, Jan 27, 2018.

1. gudonist

gudonist New commenter

Hi,

I’ve been teaching design technology at GCSE and A level for 16 years now and the curriculum has changed so much I just don’t feel like it’s the subject for me anymore. I’ve had no joy applying for Art Posts and am now in a position where I can afford to take a year out and go back to University. But what is the best way to change subjects? I had planned to do a PGCE in Art teaching but my union rep feels there must be a better way? Does anyone have any advice please? Thanks in advance!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You can't do another PGCE, not even in a different subject.
    Art teachers aren't in a shortage and you will be up against cheaper artists...so even with another qualification, you'd be at a disadvantage.

You possibly could spend a year doing something very art orientated and use that to increase your knowledge and skills????

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Have you thought about maybe applying for Primary?

An ex colleague of mine (Art/DT) became a KS2 teacher with a focus on co-ordinating Art in the curriculum.

That was 11 years ago. She's still there.

4. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Could you speak to the head of art at your current school and see if they can offer any opportunities for you to gain experience in lessons, clubs, etc?
    It will be difficult to get a position exclusively teaching art without previous experience. Could you apply for DT jobs where it's in the same faculty as art, or taught on a rotation by the same teacher and make known your enthusiasm to teach some art?