1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject audit with staff...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paul_mc1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

I have a staff meeting on Tuesday and was wanting to do an ICT subject audit with the staff as this is my first year at the school and want to know peoples' views on how things are. I was thinking about doing a SWOT Analysis (strengths, weakenesses, opportunities and threats). Do you think this would work? Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how to audit the staff.
    Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Whatever you do, try to make the staff feel this is about their needs for training, not about YOU auditing THEM.
    Take in some biscuits and talk about how you want to help <u>them</u> improve their expertise, practice and skills set. Where do they feel the gaps are? What resources might they lack? etc.
    Then tell them you'll come up with concrete plans for 'the way forward' by a set date.

3. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

When I audit my subject areas; I usually give plenty of notice. Where I have written the schemes of work, staff are encouraged to evaluate over half termly intervals. We then discuss what has worked well, areas of concern and whether any resources are needed. A SWOT analysis is a good idea however, to have a true overall audit, staff need to be given time to reflect on subject areas. Do the staff know about the audit?
    Audit the staff? Surely you would need to monitor lessons for this.

4. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Thanks for both of your replies.
    What I want to do is evaluate where we are now with ICT and give the staff opportunities to say what is working well and what needs improving. I don't want it to be a monitoring / checking up on things but more a look at what needs to be done so that the subject can be developed within school. Although I have identified certain things to improve, I think it's important that as a staff we work together to make changes and drive improvement.

5. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

I agree. It's important to involve all staff.
    Will this inform the SDP? Do you have a budget to spend on resources, CPD or will you be delivering INSET?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree with the person who said about giving them more notice. At least a week really for them to think about what they want to say. We had a meeting the other week where a similar thing for maths was sprung on us. Lots of people the next day saying 'I wish I had said... but I didn't think of it then'. Just tell staff that next week there will be a discussion in the staff meeting about ICT, what is good and what needs improving and that you would like them to come with ideas for both.

7. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Yes there is a budget for resources, I have identifed things I'd like to buy but again, it would be interesiting to see what the staff would like money to be spent on. CPD wise, I want to develop a training plan for teachers and TAs and if there's something I can't deliver, I want to find courses for staff to develpo their skills.
    Thanks for your help

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Interesting because you might/would change your mind when you hear their ideas? If not there is no point asking for them. Nothing is more annoying than a head asking their staff to discuss something and then at the end telling them what s/he had already decided beforehand.
    Careful how you phrase this. There may well be staff who could show you a thing or two, but don't have the hardware or software to do so. They would be decidedly miffed to hear you phrase their need for training in this way.

9. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

I agree, I've seen this happen more than once. :)

10. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

With regards to equipment / resources - although there are things I want to buy you're right to wait and see what the staff would like and what they think will work well within their year group - I'm certainly no expert on EYFS or lower KS2!
    Thanks - this is a really good point and something which I need to be careful about, I just want them to identify whether there are any pieces of software / hardware they would like training on and if I can help them i don't want to come across as someone who knows it all and and patronises them.
    You've definately gave me lots to think about - thanks!!

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would give them some time to think about it before the meeting. I know you said you have planned it for this week, but you should be able to delay it a week or so without disaster.

Maybe ask them to research what is available that they could see working well in their classrooms and come ready to show and tell sort of thing. Also say you have some ideas that you have seen before and would like them to have a look at the same meeting if that's ok. Then at the meeting make a shopping list once you have persuaded/inspired them to agree with you and they have convinced you they need what they want. You could even tell them what the budget for ICT spending is and ask them to prioritise with you.

Do something similar for the training.

Unless of course you have complete luddites as your entire staff who have no idea about computers or IWBs or software. In which case just tell them what you are buying and give them the programme/timetable for training.

12. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Thanks for your suggestions - it's interesting to hear other people's opinions and advice - the one thing I don't want to do is get people's backs up so this has definately given me food for though!!!!