1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject Access Requests.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jude Fawley, Jul 14, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

1. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Has anyone here had any experience of either making a subject access request or responding to one?

I'm presently making one and I've started reading round the issue and looked online but can only find information regarding organisations dealing with SARs i.e. responding to requests.

I'm seeking some information that was redacted at the time I requested and was granted access to my social work file in 1995 under the 'Can I See My File?' scheme.

This all related to a period when I was in the care of the local authority between 1972-1978.

In 1995 I received copies of some information in regard to school attendance, social work reports on home life and records of court appearances. This is mainly all in relation to court reports and post the care order being granted.

I have no idea what the redacted information is in regard to but I'm aware that there needs to be some level of legal protection for staff who may have written reports etc at the time.

The period I'm dealing with is so long ago that some of those involved at the time may now be deceased. Another problem is that all this is from a pre digital era so most recorded information is paper-based.

Am I being a bit optimistic to expect to receive everything that still exists that was written about my situation at the time?

I'd also say that I'm not actually challenging anything that occurred re decisions made about my life at the time.

I'm more interested in what the particular focus of a report was on and why decisions about where I should be placed were made.

I suppose now, people write reports in the knowledge that the subject may have access to that report.

It's hard to know if client-based organisations can still redact information they have previously compiled about a subject if that subject makes a SAR.

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

cissy3 likes this.