1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject: 2:1 or above honours degree for PGCE Sept 2012 and onwards

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by nomita, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Dear James
    It is being said by the University admissions that from next year PGCE Secondary, the minimum required qualifications are 2:1 or above.
    How about the good overseas degrees where NARIC doesn't give such kind of equivalency?
    Does anyone know the future of people having overseas degree? Whether they will be offered a place in PGCE next year (if yes what will be the criteria?) or they can't enter into teaching?
    I have Bachelors degree in Engineering which is equivalent to British honours degree(for 4 years)
    and I have Masters degree in Engineering which is equivalent to British taught Masters degree.
    What are my chances of applying next year?
    If some one has any knowledge on this could you please share?
    Many thanks
    Looking forward to your reply
    Best regards
    Nomita

2. Dear James
    It is being said by the University admissions that from next year PGCE Secondary, the minimum required qualifications are 2:1 or above.
    How about the good overseas degrees where NARIC doesn't give such kind of equivalency?
    Does anyone know the future of people having overseas degree? Whether they will be offered a place in PGCE next year (if yes what will be the criteria?) or they can't enter into teaching?
    I have Bachelors degree in Engineering which is equivalent to British honours degree(for 4 years)
    and I have Masters degree in Engineering which is equivalent to British taught Masters degree.
    What are my chances of applying next year?
    If some one has any knowledge on this could you please share?
    Many thanks
    Looking forward to your reply
    Best regards
    Nomita

3. HiAt present it is the government's intention to make the minimum entrace qualification a 2:2 equivalent, not a 2:1.
    You ask many relevant questions and until the government decides on the adsvice it wishes to issue there is no clear cut answer. That said, if you have a higher degree that is equivalent to a UK master's degree, then you should be safe on the minimum entry requirement.
    It is thye case that a number of overseas degrees will not have a specific UKNARIC statement that is equivalent to a UK 2:2 or above. Once again, until we (as admissions tutors) get the actual government advice, these questions will remain unknown.
    Sorry I cannot be of more help at this time.
    James

4. Many thanks James
    1.Do you have any idea is SKE courses in Maths are running next year?
    2. Is Engineering degree good enough qualification along with Advanced GCE AS level Maths in-order to be considered for the course in PGCE mathematics?
    Many thanks for all your help
    Nomita

5. Hi
    The TDA is currently looking at bids from providers to run enhancement courses. There will be maths courses but exactly who will provide them will not be known for certain until later this month we have been told. It is likely that those who offered them previously will have bid again.
    Individual providers will set their own entry requirements, but I think that an engineering degree plus some As maths is likely to be positively looked at for enhancement.
    James

6. Dear James
    Many Many thanks for your reply
    Forgive me but I thought that engineering degree have enough Maths and With AS level they still could be considered enough for PGCE Maths without enhancement.......???Please correct me if I am wrong....
    Many Engineers are teaching Maths without enhancement courses.....???
    Thanks again
    Nomita

7. Dear James
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I was looking forward to know your opinion on this....
    Also there was another request if you have any updates on the overseas qualification decisions for the coming year and the SKE courses, if you could please let me know up updating the post.
    Again many many thanks for all your help. I really apprecaite it.
    Cheers
    Nomita

8. Whether your degree has enough maths (combined withb the As) for a place on a PGCE without enhancement would be a decision that only the provider you apply to can make - they would look in detail at your qualifications and experience and, if interviewed talk about your preparednbess for teaching and how your subject knowledge meets the needs of the maths PGCE. They may offer a place without enhancement or they may decide that enhancement is necessary. There are so many different combinations of degrees and modules that there is no one definitive answer to whether or not your degree means that you need enhancement.
    James

9. Hi
    The SKE courses have now been confirmed to providers so you should contact your preferred provider to see if they are running one and ask about the nearest provider if you think that enhancement may be recommended for you (you can do enhancement at a different provider from the one you would liuke to attend to do your PGCE).
    If you need confirmation of your degree equivalence as it is overseas then UK NARIC will be able to provide a certificate (it does cost) and that would be accpeted by the majority of providers.
    James