1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subject: 2:1 or above honours degree for PGCE Sept 2012 and onwards

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by nomita, May 14, 2011.

1. Hi there
    Subject: 2:1 or above honours degree for PGCE Sept 2012 and onwards
    It is being said by the University admissions that from next year PGCE Secondary, the minimum required qulaifications are 2:1 or above.
    How about the good overseas degrees where NARIC doesn't give such kind of equivalency?
    Does anyone know the future of people having overseas degree? Whether they will be offered a place in PGCE next year (if yes what will be the criteria?) or they can't enter into teaching?
    If some one has any knowledge on this could you please share?
    Many thanks
    Best regards
    Nomita

2. This really annoys me, the class of degree does not say how good a teacher you are. The best teacher I know has a 2.2, he would have been rejected from ever becoming a teacher by this.
    Meanwhile there are cover supervisors and TAs getting in by the back door to whole class 'teaching' without needing any academic qualifications.
    The world has gone mad!

3. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

hi nomita i am currently in thecycle of pgce ,have applied for physics and the reason i am answering this is because i have all overseas qualifications and naric has messed with my degrees because of which i was facing difficulty getting interview...finally goldsmiths have given me...so i have some hope here...but regarding ur question...whatever the new rule comes there are colleges that can consider u if u have sufficient experience ....try getting as much experience as u can....n make ur application stand out....u will get in!!!

4. I got a 2:2, put off applying for teaching for a few years because I assumed I would never get on a course, and the one (only) thing throughout this course I have been consistantly praised about is my subject knowledge.

5. Hi

What do you mean when you say that Naric messed up from qualifications?Can you please explain?

How did goldsmiths help you?

Could you share where yout qualifications are from?

Thanks
    nomita

6. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Is this actually true? Or was it just a suggestion?

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Isn't this Gove Minor's idea?
    Will I get kicked out?

8. It is true
    Nomita

9. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I find this proposal quite disgusting to be honest. I can only speak about my personal cicumstances but I got a 2:2 in my degree and I'm pretty sure I'm a good teacher. My school and OFSTED seem to think so anyway. During my second year my mum was diagnosed with cancer and 3 days before my final year began my mum died as a result of it. Quite frankly I am proud of myself for getting my degree on time with no extensions.

10. degree classifications are quite meaningless in my subject. I teach languages, and am bi-lingual in German/ English, and was a lazy b*ggar at uni and spent all the time in the pub. Result - my joint honours degree 2:2 in German and French. I then spent 2 years in a job where i had to speak French every day, so am near native speaker level in French, as well as being native speaker in German. I have mentored PGCE students with 1st class degrees and 2:1s who have linguistic skills way below mine and struggle to hold a decent conversation with me in my 2nd native language (German), that's before i even get started on pronunciation and grammar. They got good degrees because they swatted up for the history and literature exams, which at some unis are taken in English. I feel i little bit trapped in my job now, because i know most schools will bin my application form as soon as they see my degree result.

11. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Link to official policy please...I've looked, but can find nothing to suggest that it is policy (yet!)