1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Subdivided levels

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by apostate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. It appears that my secondary school is about to insist we subdivide levels - 4a, 4b, 4c - etc. Personally, I see no point to this whatsoever but there we go.
    Has anyone any experience of this with RE? If so how did you go about it? Do you have an example that I could use for startign the discussion with my team?

Many thanks

2. 576

576 Established commenter

My present & last schools both do this.
    I think of it as + & -
    5c - you're just starting to meet the criteria for that level
    5b - you're meeting most but not all of it
    5a - you're meeting nearly all the criteria for the level but am not yet at level 6.

3. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

Not joking here...there is no basis in reality in the levels anyway, they are subjective.
    Therefore make them up as you see fit, everyone else does.
    If the target level is 5a, give them 5c if weak, 5b if OK, 5a if good, 6c if brilliant. work out justifications later from written and oral contributions...you will find these just as accurate as any other method once you get the hang of them.
    Levels are the Emperor's new clothes, people pretend to see them.

4. Completely agree with last post. The national curriculum was never designed to have sub-levels, so schools made them up, paticularly to seperate pupils within level 5. All that happens in a lot of schools is that you end up putting a pupil up a sub-level every term to 'suggest' improvement and have something to talk about at parents evening. Its fairly random and often quite pointless especially if you feel obliged to get students up to their 'target' grades which at our place are a series of inflated dreams!

5. We have criteria for levels 2-8 and then we use the principle of c-just met b-mostly met a- completely met.