1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sub levels

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by kmc1378, May 5, 2013.

1. Hi,
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the sub level descriptors for all National Curriculum subjects please? I am struggling to find them as everything is now archived online. I can find level descriptors but need to find the sub levels, ie. what is required for level 3a, 3b, 3c, etc.
    Many thanks.

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Who's told you that there are any? (They're having you on.)
    Sorry but they simply don't exist! The sub level (or sublevel or sub-level) business is mostly myth.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

(See the "Levels for Year 7" thread.)

4. My mentors in both my previous and current placements. We levelled some work using these descriptors in my previous placement so I know they must exist somewhere! I just can't find electronic versions. If they don't exist how do we know whether a child is a 3b or a 3a?

5. Thanks for the link, I have just read it and am really confused now! I have seen sub level descriptors, paper copies though not electronic. And I have an interview soon where I have been told that part of the interview process will be to level some work. Arrggghhhhh!

6. Sub-levels don't exist - the only true levels that mean anything are the whole levels of the NC. However; schools DO use them as we are asked to track progress through a level. There could be (and probably will be) a lengthy discussion about what 'secure' is, whether it means more evidence or more detail or more frequency BLAH BLAH BLAH. (Can you tell it's test week next week?)
    I'd hope they're just getting you to level WHOLE levels. I'd take a peek at the current stuff out for moderators, there's some examples of work there from level 2 - 6.
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/teachingandlearning/assessment/keystage2/b00200837/ks2_writing_moderation/eng-mod-ks2
    However, if you're still in need of the sub-levels, I can direct you to these:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/PORTSMOUTH-writing-level-descriptors-6291049/
    They're not perfect by any means, and to be honest, a little too nit-picky. We use them to help us break whole level targets into smaller chunks. Some of the objectives aren't appropriate, but may be worth a look.

7. Thank you so much for the links. I have been asked to level work and indicate whether it is a 3a, 3b, 3c, etc. This student teacher lark can be so confusing at times! [​IMG]
    Thank you again, I appreciate your help.