1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-levels progress

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrPrimary, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Sorry if this has been asked before, but how many sub-levels progress does YOUR school expect yearly?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Roughly 2sub-levels per year generally, though there's usually a dip just after KS1 SATs and in year 5 which skew the results somewhat.

3. 3 in each year of ks1 and 2 in each year of ks2.

4. Is this serious? Two sublevels is 4 APS points which is accelerated progress.

5. two for a 'majority' of children in each year (65-80% being a majority, rather bizarrely).

6. I still think that an expected 2 sublevels progess each year in KS2 is unsustainable (learnt that word when listening to all the comments about teachers' pensions [​IMG]).
    Seriously though, some years might be 2 sublevels but surely not every year.

7. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

Expected progress is a level over 2 academic years (1.5 sub-levels a year). So, we expect children to make 2 sub-levels in one of the years and one in another for satisfactory progress. Eg, one sub-level in Year 3 and 2 in Year 4 to make a level's progress from KS1.

8. Thank you. That's what I thought.

9. I expect every child to make 3 sub-levels progress every year.
    I don't need them to feel safe, stay healthy or enjoy school. I don't expect them to make a positive contribution or even come to school. They don't need to do art or science or music; fun is irrelevant.
    Everything I do is judged by test scores so who cares about anything else? Unless they make 3 sub-levels (actually, let's call it 4) they have failed and should be castigated. As should any teacher who doesn't make them jump through the hoops.

10. [​IMG]

11. The answer is not to think in terms of sub-levels, but in terms of average points scores (APS). Each sub level is equal to 2 points. Each child in KS1 is expected to make 4 points progress per year, and each child in KS2 3 points. Fine at KS1, because that is equal to 2 sub-levels. However, no child can make 3 points progress, because no child can make 1 1/2 sub-levels. However, averaged out across the class, your children at KS2 can make 3 APS (age-related progress), less than 3 APS (below age-related progress) or more than 3 APS (greater than age-related progress). L1C = 7 points, L1B = 9 points, L1A = 11 points, etc ad infinitum. So if one child moves 2 sub-levels or 4 points, and another just 1 sub-level or 2 points, the average is 3 ( (4+2)/2), and your class is broadly on track.

This may or may not help, but it is what I expect from my staff. The minimum progress for the classes is 4 APS at KS1, and 3 APS at KS2. Anything above that I accept, anything below that and I am on their case, because the children's entitlement is not secure. (And by the way, we are not a leafy suburb school - we are on the 93rd percentile for social disadvantage in Devon, the fourth lowest funded local authority in the country.) It seems to work here; our SATs results at both Key Stages are broadly in line with or above national averages, and it is a lovely, happy school.

12. In our school in KS2 they are expected to make 2 full levels progress from end of ks1 to end of year 6.
    You would think this means that they need to make 6 sublevels however this is not the case.
    If a child is in level 2 they need to gt to level 4 so level 2a to 4c is only 4 sublevels.
    If a child is in 2c to get to 4c they need to make 6 sublevels.
    Children who are a 3 - scraping at end of year 2 are expected to get a level 5.
    Thats the info that LEA want from us.

13. Yes, deadly serious. Thanks to our evil dictator of a head teacher.

14. average progress is 2 sub levels per year but we are told that to have average is not good enough so should expect 3!

15. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Yeah mine is the same. 2 in KS2 and 3 in KS1. It's a nightmare and leads to inflated results for many staff members who won't stick up for themselves.

16. This is my reality. Insane, but true. Sadly. 3 sub levels a year. For every one. In every year. I think the HT's theory is that if you say it, it must happen. Which my lottery tickets will tell you just doesn't work.

At the same time we're expected to include all the 'bells and whistles'. To the extent that 'theme weeks' and other gubbins have taken (roughly) 10 (that's TEN) weeks out of the curriculum time.

Which goes some way towards explaining why I'm leaving teaching. Perhaps.

17. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I'm very glad to hear it, musicman, because all of that econo-edubabble sounds like a nightmare, encompassing all of my deepest fears about making children and education fit into spreadsheets, therefore needing to re-interpret all education and learning so that they can become numerical values, naturally ignoring or devaluing anything which can not be so expressed.
    Do you have a chart of loveliness or happiness in your school? how do you know your statement about your school to be anything other than wishful thinking? if you know because you are a human being, then, just maybe, you could know something about children's learning because you are a teacher - without a chart to tell you what is going on?
    I truly pity them. I am more relaxed in my own setting because management in my school can't understand, interpret or use the data, you seem to have a frightening grip of it - or it has a frightening grip on you, can't decide which.
    sorry if this all sounds a bit caustic. See my blog, you will get a few clues why there: http://becktonboy.blogspot.com/2011/02/numbers-game.html
    http://becktonboy.blogspot.com/2011/01/skin-deep.html

18. Is that it? Your whole view of education boils down to some numbers?
    Poor staff.

19. Ours are expected to make about 2 sublevels per year. If their progress is below that average, I have to find an explanation of why that might be. If they only make one sublevel, but are ok for their end-of-year target, we are fine. Some might not achieve their targets, but make very good progress (not really fair on them, to sometimes have to catch up 4 to 6 sublevels in a year). That conversation does often include something similar to: "Well, KS1 data shows a level 3 in Year 2. Year 4 sent her up on a 3c and she's now on a 4c. Her Year 5 target is a 4b, though. She's still underachieving, but we are getting there."

20. I expect 2 sub levels per year
    throughout the school. Children's attainment is very different from ability.
    Every child is capable of attaining regardless of whether they are below, above
    or at average ability.
    <font size="1">If I can
    make an average of 3 sub levels progress (with my level 2/3 year 6
    mathematicians) between September and May then every year group should be able
    to make this progress&hellip; [​IMG]</font>