1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sub levels per year-Primary.

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Martin87, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Short but sweet question.
    Is 3 sub levels progress a year classed as minimum in Primary schools?

2. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I think such an expectation - as a minimum - is crazy.
    It would suggest a middle ability child in Year 2 (2b) morphing into an exceptional pupil by end of Year 6 (6b)...

3. Our minimum expectation is 2 sublevels. Most of mine make it, some don't, some make more progress. It depends on the child,...and the year,...and how "high" their previous teachers have sent them up. For example, I've got a child who has moved from 2b to 4c this year (target was a 4b). However, he had made no progress at all for the past two years, and actually gone backwards by a sublevel. At some point, the progress had to kick in.
    I've also got kids who've gone backwards this year. That's mainly because they were over-assessed last year (or have suddenly forgotten how to put capital letters and full stops in a piece of writing,...which I would consider essentials for children levelled at 3a).

4. Through key stage 2, it's 6 sublevels absolute minimum for the 4 years from the end of year 2 to the end of year 6. This would mean that a 2B in Y2 would become a 4B in Y6.

5. toomuchtoosoon

toomuchtoosoon New commenter

Satisfactory progress in ks1 is 3 sub levels per year. In ks 2 as others have said is 3 sub levels over 2 years. We aim for good so 2 sub levels a year..as others, some make it and some don't

6. In our school we are expected to move the children 3 aps points per year ie a child should come to year 5 at 21 aps points which is a low 3b the progress 3 aps points to be 24 points when they join year 6 which is a high 3a. ( I think, it's quite late!!!)