1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sub-level anxiety

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elizabeth1972, Nov 26, 2011.

1. It's that time in the term when I start to feel anxious. I'm marking assessments from our assessment week and I just know that some children will be either the same sub-level as they were (or I was told they were) when they came to me or, horror, a sub-level lower than the level I was given by their previous teacher.
    Raw scores in tests cannot lie, but I know that some people in my school get the children to take the same test again and again until they get a level at least one sub-level up on their previous term's level.
    It's a small minority of children, but I just know that I'm going to be called to questionn because not every child has made at least one sub-level's progress in reading, writing and maths this term.
    Is is just my school, or do all schools demand one sub-level's progress per term? It seems such a huge mountain to climb in the autumn term, especially when I don't 100% trust the levels given to me for the end of the previous year.

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

2 sub-levels per year at my last school. ((4 points) in my new school they only work on points and expect 3 per year, much easier.

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

"assessments"; "assessment week"; "a sub-level lower"; "raw scores in tests".
    Oh dear!
    Of course marks in tests can go down as well as up but it's impossible for a child's NC level to go down. The NC levels aren't written with any notion at all as to how many marks in anything give you whatever.
    I know this isn't the Assessment forum but it has to be said that the phrases above have no place at all in the big picture of a child's real National Curriculum level.
    It's just playing school politics and one sub-level upmanship.
    Very sad.

4. I think it is possible for a NC level to go down.
    I took some of my class with me from Y4 to Y5 this year and so I assessed their writing at the end of Y4 and again at the start of Y5. I was surprised to see that a few of them had gone backwards. I know it happens but was still surprised! After all, they knew my expectations but so many of them forgot all about paragraphs and punctuation, even though we put a huge amount of teaching into it last year.
    I also know that one of my statemented boys was reading pretty well by the end of Y4 but did nothing over the summer and could barely decode in September. We had to start all over again with him.

5. If your headteacher's policy is that children are tested three times a year, and those test results are converted into their sublevels in English and maths then yes, a child's NC level can go down.
    I also know that the phrases above have <u>limited</u> place in the big picture of a child's real NC level - I'm sorry but I wasn't asking for a moral judgement on this, I was telling it as it is in my school, which focuses mainly on sublevels and expects progress from all children, all the time.
    It's not my way of doing things, and if I had any say in the matter I wouldn't do it this way. But I don't. I have to play the game and do what is asked of me.
    I have a full time, permanent position in a county which, last week, advertised one teaching vacancy, which was for a fixed term contract. I can't vote with my feet, so I have to do as I am asked.
    I was simply venting some frustration with the system and asking if others were in a similar situation.

6. T34

T34 Established commenter

Seems unrealistically high, even for very aspirational target setting!
    I'm looking at an average sort of primary school's KS2, FFT "D" estimates at the moment for year 3.
    In Reading the estimated APS increase is 13.2 - an average of 1.1 points per term.