1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Style revival

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, May 2, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm getting a bit fed up with the whole 60s/70s revival as far as home decoration is concerned. Many of the magazines are full of ideas for vintage or retro furniture, furnishings etc. I don't think I'm being a bit of a fuddy duddy but having lived through the 60s & 70s and done the orange flowery wallpaper thing then I don't want to repeat it. I know it is even more stylish now than it was back then but for my age group I think enough is enough.
    I've been looking for ideas for my bedroom. I'm pretty sure about the style I want but it would be nice to see a few magazines with some alternatives to retro.
    What do you think?

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm getting a bit fed up with the whole 60s/70s revival as far as home decoration is concerned. Many of the magazines are full of ideas for vintage or retro furniture, furnishings etc. I don't think I'm being a bit of a fuddy duddy but having lived through the 60s & 70s and done the orange flowery wallpaper thing then I don't want to repeat it. I know it is even more stylish now than it was back then but for my age group I think enough is enough.
    I've been looking for ideas for my bedroom. I'm pretty sure about the style I want but it would be nice to see a few magazines with some alternatives to retro.
    What do you think?

3. 576

576 Established commenter

I think those kind of magazines are best avoided.
    They are little more than ad advertising campaign.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Another problem of mistaking 'fashion' with 'style'
    If you already have an idea of what you want, why would you choose to read magazines that tell you what other people want you to want?

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've been converted to Fifties patterns after years of regarding them with distain. I grew up in the Seventies and so regarded Fifties stuff as old and worn out, because they were then.
    There are occasional moments of sympathy for Sixties and Seventies stuff, but don't think I could live with them.
    Very distinctive fashions are best kept on a small scale in the home anyway. Plain colours, nice wooden furniture and a few funky, fashionable cushions, throws or curtains allow you to have the best of both. When you tire of Orla or Biba, you just replace those accents and don't have to go for a whole new look thing.
    I know people who went in for certain styles big time and ended up replacing perfectly good items when they bored of them. Not very eco!

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

The whole point of such magazines and als, TV programmes - is to get you to replace the material goods that you have in your home with other goods.................... is this because world economy is based on the production of artefacts. The media encourage us to have a better kitchen, replacement windows, paint the walls etc etc. None of this is good for the planet in the end.

7. Mrs. B is very 30s/ 40s orientated and everything in our living room is original to that era.

8. My parents kept the same furniture since they married in the 50s. Their stuff was so old it literally came back into fashion!

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'm not a slave to these magazines (who could afford to be?) but I like looking at ideas and picking out bits and pieces that I like. I just find the current trend to be rammed down our throats with no alternatives.

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Problem is, they overdo it until, however much it appealed to you at first, you end up seeing it everywhere it all gets too much.

My Aunt went overboard on the ribbon pattern china in the 80s. Everything matched, cutlery, napkins, tablecloth, teapot and so on. Cost an absolute fortune.
    [​IMG]
    Then she went off it. [​IMG]

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

even yourself???

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

dear angiebabe
    I am considering a pair of brown leatherette banquettes for our conservatory or maybe just the one with matching chairs as in the enclosed photo.
    [​IMG]
    Which is the more stylish and is this a bad Idea.?

lurk

13. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I've recently painted my bedroom entirely white. Couldn't be faffed getting the cursed woodchip wallpaper off, that's probably been there decades. Anyway, it all looks very fresh and clean. Got a new, plain, mushroomy coloured carpet and I've kept the plain aquamarine curtains. It's a big room, with large windows either end so there is lots of light.
    So all is very plain, at the moment. The fitted wardrobes are also white. However, have glammed things up a little with two sparkly, silver ceiling lightshades and a bedside table lamp (white shade, clear glass base). Keep up, everyone.
    Great excitement this afternoon when the John Lewis bed finally arrived, 3 weeks after promised ( got a small refund as a goodwill gesture). It's so beautiful that I don't want to cover it. I have to let it air for four hours, so that the aroma of wool from sheep reared in the Yorkshire Dales (which have been stuffed into the mattress, well, their wool, not the sheep themselves) and a hint of lavender has dissipated.
    Anyway, think of me at nine o'clock when I shall be adorning the bed with "hotel standard" mattress protector, Egyptian cotton percale sheet (white) and a duvet cover in cream, with a large border of chocolate coloured silk type material and some embroidered flowers. Do you see how I've broken up the plain decor, now?
    I'm thinking the whole room might need "lifting" with a touch of coral, perhaps some scatter cushions, geometrically arranged on the bed. Although, what actual use are they? They'll only get chucked on the floor, as we get into bed.
    Anyway, ( if you've got this far and are still interested) I must go and make the bed. I can't wait to retire tonight. I could count sheep, to get me off to sleep, I suppose...

14. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Have I upset you?

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Right. It's all done. Looks too nice to sleep in so we're going into the spare room.

16. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Not at all,
    I must have phrased my request for guidance badly..Apart from the basic style question I was hoping you might suggest some accessories. Perhaps striped legwarmers for the banquette?
    [​IMG]

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]

18. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

19. [​IMG]
    I don't follow styles or colour schemes. My home has evolved over many, many years and no doubt will continue to do so. When I get bored, I buy new cushion covers.
    My place would never make the glossy pages of a homestyle mag - but it is a home and comfortable and very us.

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here. I pick a curtain fabric that I like and then base the rest of room on that.
    If you follow fashion then you have to redecorate regularly. I'd rather pick something I like and stick with it for many years.