1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid weight loss advice - from a Professor at UCL!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon468, Aug 10, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Just interested to know the opinions of others on here at the ludicrous 'advice' dished out by Professor Jane Wardle (head of the Health Behaviour Research unit at UCL) in Good Housekeeping magazine this month (Sept issue).
    Apparently 'Rule 2' (of 6) in the article entitled 'Secrets of women who lose weight... and keep it off', is to step on the scales often. The esteemed Professor advocates weighing yourself every day:
    'People are shocked when we recommend daily weighing, but they'd be more shocked if they weighed themselves after a month and found they gained 8lb. If their weight goes up by more than 2lb or increases for three days in a row, it's a sign they need to cut back.'
    Crock. Of. S***

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Just interested to know the opinions of others on here at the ludicrous 'advice' dished out by Professor Jane Wardle (head of the Health Behaviour Research unit at UCL) in Good Housekeeping magazine this month (Sept issue).
    Apparently 'Rule 2' (of 6) in the article entitled 'Secrets of women who lose weight... and keep it off', is to step on the scales often. The esteemed Professor advocates weighing yourself every day:
    'People are shocked when we recommend daily weighing, but they'd be more shocked if they weighed themselves after a month and found they gained 8lb. If their weight goes up by more than 2lb or increases for three days in a row, it's a sign they need to cut back.'
    Crock. Of. S***

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I know it goes against typical advice, but I weigh myself nearly every day.
    So far I've lost nearly 6 stones, so it's not doing much to harm me!

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Conversely, I never weigh myself more than once a fortnight. My weight can fluctuate wildly and if I weighed myself daily I'd end up demoralised, disillusioned and verging on the obsessional.
    As I did in 1984 when I teetered near the brink of eating disorder land (5' 5 and a half and 7 and a half stone).
    But if it works for you, then that's fine.

5. I weigh myself every day. I haven't read this article but yes, if my weight varies by more than a couple of pounds (apart from period week), I take it as a sign that I need to cut down. I appreciate it isn't the same for everyone but if I ignore a couple of pounds they don't just disappear.
    I don't want any hideous surprises when I attend the weigh-in at Weightwatchers.

6. Or they are due on

7. I also weigh myself every day. I can see after a few days away or a weekend of meals out that my weight starts to go up. I need to see this every day so that I make sure I do something about it. It's also quite reassuring once you have been doing it for a while and you know that even if you have put on a few pounds after a holiday you know you can get it back off again by eating sensibly. I am not on a 'diet', I couldn't be on any kind of diet that makes me feel hungry otherwise I would eventually pig out. I have just been eating much more sensibly and cutting out the junk and have been amazed how the weight has come off. I know everyone is different but for me weighing myself daily definitely works.

8. Not as daft as the advice I got from a doctor while I was at uni.
    I was having about 1400 calories a day, swimming twice a week, dancing twice a week and cycling everywhere. The weight wasn't shifting at all even after 2 months so I wondered if there might be something wrong.
    His answer.....eat less fruit to cut down on fruit sugars (I was getting my 5 a day but no more than that as surprisingly enough I already knew that all food contained calories - he seemed to think I hadn't been counting fruit) and stop wearing a coat. Apparently I was meant to shiver the weight off.
    Weighing yourself every day seems eminently sensible in comparison (although I have a standard weigh in on a Saturday but allow myself a sneak preview on a wednesday to check I'm on track)

9. Stop wearing a coat!
    Hilarious!
    Though I have heard the obesity epidemic blamed on central heating - in my young day (yawn) only one or two rooms were heated, but since we layered on jumpers and cardigans, I can't see that we were actually any colder!

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Or they haven't been to the loo for a few days.
    Took me a few goes to put that 'delicately'.

11. I don't think it is stupid, no. Perhaps not for everyone but esepcially for those who don't have an awful lot to lose it can be helpful to keep a very close track.

12. I weigh myself everyday and it keeps me on track, leave it a month and I could have put on half a stone!!

13. Not so daft. Weightwatc*ers have changed their system and all friut is now no points, some people have really struggled on this pro points plan simply beacuse they eat too much fruit which still has calories.

14. Not as many as biscuits though, which is why I suspect they did it.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The logic behind this is that fruit and veg leave you much more full and satisfied than the equivalent amount of calories in biscuit form. Clearly you can't eat 6 bananas a day but it's worked for me and means I am never left feeling hungry.
    I had my weigh in last night after 3 weeks of not doing the WW properly. Lots of booze and puddings. I lost a pound [​IMG] Back onto it this week. I need half a pound to reach 21 pounds off and 3 pounds off to get to 10% of my weight lost.

16. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

I think it completely depends on the person. My weight can fluctuate wildly over the day and over two days, by as much as 6lbs - up AND down. The advice I was given is to weigh yourself at the same time each month. Works for me. (Doesn't work for those on WW or SW though!)

17. Giggirl - As post stated, I DO know that fruit contains calories and fruit sugars. I made the point because the doctor seemd to think I wasn't counting fruit in my daily calorie allowance.
    Are you suggesting that on 1400 calories a day I should have then cut this down even more by leaving out my fruit portions?

18. No not at all, I am sure you are totally aware of the calorific value of fruit!
    What I was saying that since WW have said that fruit is a 'no point' food 'some people', not you, are eating too much and wondering why the weight isn't shifting.

19. I think diet schemes like WW or SW having anything as 'no point' or 'free' is only going to sabbotage the efforts of those that don't know much about food or how to cook healthily. If people want to lose weight by following a points scheme then the points allowance should be increased and EVERYTHING should have a value.
    I must admit I've never followed a points scheme and much prefer to keep track of actual calories. I know that while foods might have the same amount of calories some foods are healthier (eg in terms of saturated fats) and for many people assigning these foods different points levels helps them make the 'right' choices. But for me I don't want to feel guilty for having a bag of crisps when I get in from work on those days when I have taken a plain salad for my lunch.

20. Agreed. Weight fluctuates by a 1lb or 2 during the day and 1-2lb is the recommended amount of weight loss per month not per day. All that will happen is that we'll become obssessed with it and then end up putting more on weight than we started because the 'cutting back' will get out of hand.