1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid train timetable changes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

London North Western Trains - which took over the franchise from London Midland during 2018 - has a new timetable.

It is now no longer possible to travel between London and my home town on weekdays from 2149 to 0134. Five trains, which used to go there (2200, 2244, 2304, 2344, 0034) now only go as far as Milton Keynes, from where there is a bus service for the rest of the way. This almost doubles the journey time, as well as the hassle.

So, if you're visiting the theatre, or an evening sports event, or just having a night out in London, at the EXACT time when you would be leaving there are no longer any trains.

So much for a better service!

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's not about providing a good service, it's about maximising profit.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But the trains at these times are always packed - that's why it doesn't make sense.

There are trains going the whole way from 0134 onwards - they'll be virtually empty, I'd guess.

I've just looked at the London to Birmingham trains (trains on that route often go through my town). The latest train through train is at 2330, which isn't very late.

Crazily, the train leaving Euston at 0034 goes to Milton Keynes, passengers then transfer by bus to my town, where they get another train to Birmingham - after a 2.5 hour layover at my town, arriving at Birmingham at 0618.