1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid school uniform 'trends' which you HAD to follow

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moomoon, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Did anyone have any really stupid trends which you felt compelled to follow for fear of being labelled as a 'loser?'. I was thinking about how stupid these were, and how horrible we all looked!
    These were our 'fashion rules'

1. Ties: MUST be worn with the thick bit worn as short as possible (a few inches max). The long, dangly bit was to be worn tucked inside the shirt... generally resulting in a bulge in the shirt.

2. Jumpers were for losers. No matter how cold it is... shirts only.

3. PE kit HAD to be carried in a clothes shop bag... A limited choice in my home town. You would demonstrate your social status by travelling to a cooler town and buying from a cooler shop. Only a loser would use a Tesco/ASDA bag.

4, Skirts- as short as possible. Rolled up to make even shorter- cue attractive bulge around waist.

I was desparate to fit in (though I never quite did) so tried to follow all of these trends. My mum never quite understood why I refused to carry my PE kit in an ASDA carrier bag.

What rules did you obey?

2. Did anyone have any really stupid trends which you felt compelled to follow for fear of being labelled as a 'loser?'. I was thinking about how stupid these were, and how horrible we all looked!
    These were our 'fashion rules'

1. Ties: MUST be worn with the thick bit worn as short as possible (a few inches max). The long, dangly bit was to be worn tucked inside the shirt... generally resulting in a bulge in the shirt.

2. Jumpers were for losers. No matter how cold it is... shirts only.

3. PE kit HAD to be carried in a clothes shop bag... A limited choice in my home town. You would demonstrate your social status by travelling to a cooler town and buying from a cooler shop. Only a loser would use a Tesco/ASDA bag.

4, Skirts- as short as possible. Rolled up to make even shorter- cue attractive bulge around waist.

I was desparate to fit in (though I never quite did) so tried to follow all of these trends. My mum never quite understood why I refused to carry my PE kit in an ASDA carrier bag.

What rules did you obey?

3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

At Primary school- long white knee-socks with those holes in, but rolled down to the ankles, forming a fat sausage roll of sock. Lush.
    At Secondary school, rucksacks with felt-pen scribbles of bands all over them were the order of the day. Aside from that, I was too much of a keener to wear my skirt short or pick the gold stripe out of my school tie. I did wear my shirt untucked at the back, though, and rebelled against the school rule that jumpers HAD to be worn from September til March. What a stupid rule!

4. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Our ties had to be as skinny as possible, with some people doing them up in reverse, so the thin bit was out.
    Those thick cotton white shirts with tortoiseshell buttons were the best, I didn't have one because I had a load of my grandfather's old shirts from when he was a postie, and the trendy ones were expensive... I was a deprived child!!
    Doc Martens, and either a long, loose hippyish skirt or a short, tight one...
    I seem to remember supermarket carriers being scorned in our school, too, but I can't remember the acceptable bags!
    One gold small hoop and one small diamond stud in each ear.
    Brown eyeliner. Oh, and when I was in the first/second year, waxed jackets were THE coat to wear [​IMG]

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was lucky to grow up in a country where schools didn't have uniforms. As a teacher, school uniform drives me mad as it causes so much trouble.

6. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

In secondary school everyone wore '***' bands (for anyone that doesn't know-neon plastic bracelets). In fact they seem to be making a bit of a come back in my school at the moment.
    We too rolled up our skirts so that we had really fat bulges at the waist.
    Our PE kit had to be carried in a boot bag (not clothes shop bags like the OP). It had to be an umbro or adidas one though!

7. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

Oh and I just remembered (immediately after pressing post) - WHITE EYELINER (***?)

8. Chrissi T

Chrissi T New commenter

me again the *s in my previous post stand for s h a g bands

9. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Plastic carrier bags for PE kit - again, supermarket bags were a no-no. I remember being massively jealous of my friend who had a River Island one (when they were actually nice - a decoupage effect). Most other people had Key West or New Look.
    Very thin ties, as short as possible.
    Absolutely no jack-ups, or you'd be mercilessly bullied forever.

10. When I was at school uniform rules weren't just strict...they were strictly applied! At the start of every term we had to kneel down on the floor and the nuns (yes, nuns!) would measure our heels to make sure they were no higher than 2 inches (old money!) and our hems were no higher than 2 inches off the ground.
    Any uniform 'errors' were swiftly dealt with by a phnoe call or letter home and and subsequent issues had you ritually humiliated in assembly in front of the whole school pkus a variety of detentions and other punishments.
    Very few of us ever broke the rules.

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Girls at my school weren't allowed to wear trousers, and I remember our hems being checked for height above the knee! Boys had to wear grey trousers (not charcoal or black) and we had grey skirts.
    If our HT took his blazer off in summer, we were allowed to as well. (In classrooms it was up to the teacher.)
    People used to get told off for wearing their uniform sloppily even out of school (local people would phone up the school). We didn't have nuns, but it was pretty strict!

12. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Witches' britches, tights (back when black stockings and suspenders (!!) were compulsory and tights were VERY expensive).

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I also went to schools with strictly applied uniform rules.
    I well remember the kneeling in the gym to check your skirt length.
    We also had regulation knickers - navy blue ones that itched like the devil!
    White socks in summer. Knee length please, and if they don't stay up wear elastic bands/garters to keep them up! Ribbed tights in winter - thick blue ones!
    Flat shoes - black - and no sandals.
    Blazers and ties to be worn constantly....although on vry hot days you could ask for permission to remove the blazer - once you were in class.
    I was part of the group of girls who protested and petioned for permission to wear trousers in winter. The first of many protests for me!

14. gameplayer

gameplayer New commenter

Oh the nostalgia for
    ..............brown serge knickers with a double gusset!!!.

and black underwear was strictly forbidden in any form as it was considered too sexy and could inflame passions (God knows whose, it was an all girls school and who would see it anyway?)

15. skinny ties - sewed mine to thin all the way
    rolled up sleeves on blazer - miami vice
    puma/ head bags
    carriers for jackets - but never supermarket, nightmare if you had a gateway bag...

16. My daughter [now 37] was sent home from her RC secondary school because her shoes were black patent and the headmaster stated that it was immodest because 'the shiny surface of her shoes could reflect up her skirt!'' I kid you not.

17. zannar

zannar New commenter

I wore multi coloured platforms then was told to substitute for plimsoles, rolled down socks -told to roll up, thick ties and thin ties -couldn't win either way.
    One fashion accessory I didn't follow in my all girl's school was the need for maternity smocks at 13/14yrs - Thank God in hindsight!
    Brut afershave, staypress skirts ( trousers were a definate no no) and a lovely warm crombie coat for winter.
    Those were the days..

18. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Bethannie has bought back memories. We wore white " airtex" knickers, "recommended number, 4 pairs/week". Covered by navy "bags" - woollen knickers, "recommended number, "2/week". Combined with only being allowed 2 baths week, we must have stunk!
    This was all checked on a daily basis together with vest wearing and skirt/tie length and any deviation was severely punished.
    Apparently this was GOD'S will, he also determined cabbage consumption and other such things at my all girls school in the 1970's.

19. Gymslips. As soon as you grew breasts, they rose up in the front and looked like a maternity smock. Straw boater, one size. Not my size. Flew off at the slightest puff of breeze. Hair: right off face or Sister de Sade would scrape it back in an elastic band for you

20. Ties - short/wide as possible
    Skirt - rolled up to almost indecent levels, with blouse pouffed over the top to hide the rolled bit. Said skirt was hastily unrolled for skirt inspection during registration - where pervy middle aged form tutor ALWAYS had his trusty ruler and seemed to take bizarre pleasure from all the measuring (!) - but was always rolled up again immediately after leaving the reg. classroom.
    Black tights with slouchy socks over the top - black socks only of course. The poor souls who wore black tights with white slouchy socks were bullied mercilessly...
    We never really had strict rules about jumpers/blazers, but I remember being made to wear my jumper on one of the hottest days so far towards the end of the school year, because I was wearing a black bra under my blue school blouse. Roll forward 10 years and they should be counting themselves lucky it wasn't a fluorescent colour of some kind!
    Jewellery/make-up wasn't allowed at all (I don't know how I coped!) but make-up was always carried around in schoolbags, and there was a competition to see who could be sent to remove it and then consequently re-apply it the most times in one day. My own record was 5, but there were several who were far more dedicated than me! Jewellery - having the top bit (bridge?) of your ear pierced but making sure your hair covered it at all times - especially when tied back so that on one side of your head you had this weird strand of hair mysteriously covering the top of your ear.
    I will never forget the day the the HT pulled his car over to the side of the road after school to shout at me for having my shirt untucked on my way home from school, for 2 reasons. 1) Now that I have more experience, what was an HT doing leaving school at 3:15?! and 2) because I somehow managed to successfully conceal the first and only cigarette I ever tried. It could have been so much worse!!