1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid has a special place... recruitment crisis news!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 3, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...-making-teachers-work-longer-says-heads-union

A Scottish teaching union has come up with a radical solution to reduce staffing shortages: make teachers work longer.

An increase in weekly contracted hours from 35 to 37.5, if accompanied by a proportional pay rise of just over 7 per cent, could solve three crises at a stroke, believes Greg Dempster, general secretary of AHDS, which represents primary-school leaders.

He says that Scottish schools are suffering from: a lack of core teachers and supply staff; the knock-on impact on development time for school leaders; and “the fact that no one has had a decent pay rise for years”.

Yup, teachers should be made to work for longer... that'll make the job more attractive.

Who elected this ill-informed *****? Scottish posters... who picked him? Argh I'm going to wander off and headbutt a wall till the stupid I just read drops out of my poor noggin.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

you need to exit the Uk as a nation before the corruption of England spreads to your system :)

wanet, Geoff Thomas and delnon like this.
  3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

as I have said once before the Scots sytem is going down the pan. Here is one piece of evidence for it.

4. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Does that mean teaching for longer each day, or non-contact at the end of the day? If non-contact doesn't that mean we'd be paid for hours we'd be working anyway?

wanet likes this.
  5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Maybe throw the idiot against the wall instead? :eek:

lanokia likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If it goes anything like the English system they'll just make-work a solution to take up the time. You won't actually get the extra time. Meetings, revision sessions, PRP ****... it'll pile up.

7. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

As it's a head teachers' union, I assume he was picked by other heads and depute heads.

wanet and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  8. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

Oh joy.

9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I bet Scottish teachers work up to 100 hours a week like English ones have to in order to fill in all the made up pointless statistical non-correlatable nonsense.

Pay all teachers pro rata for what they work then.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Trouble is that the pay rise would probably be proportionate, but would be clawed back within 5 years by below inflation cost of living increases.

delnon likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There are no supply staff because LAs decided to stop paying scale and reduce short term supply rates to a pittance, wiping hundreds of retired teachers off the supply register because it wasn't worth their while for £35 a day.

The 37.5 hours would essentially mean Primary teachers wouldn't need "McCrone" cover (like PPA time.) LAs have already tried to sneak in unqualified teachers to cover this and it was rejected.

TES seem to have a habit of interviewing nonentities and making it sound like a huge issue at the moment.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's what they get? That's all?

That is a f****** scandal!

13. Flere-Imsaho

Basically, for the first five days (now reduced to three days), they get paid on point 1 of the pay scale for the class contact hours only. The idea was that such short time supply needs no planning or marking time. Breaks, lunch and "trapped time" didn't count.

Some schools (where they could get supply) would use them for three days, chopping amd changing so that they never had to put anyone on the higher rate. In other places, schools give the higher rate from day one simply because nobody would do it otherwise.

The unions rolled over on it for a guarantee overall teacher numbers wouldn't drop.

14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I always got the impression that the Scottish ed system was far more sane than the English one, but it looks as if they have caught its madness.

I'm horrified, but not surprised.

wanet likes this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

On that basis pay us the money you have stolen (15% cut in real terms) by the pay freeze and lower than inflation pay rise. After that pay teachers for all the hours they already do already or get rid of all the rubbish that is not necessary.

wanet, cissy3 and delnon like this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

It is more sane. We have some work to do to keep it that way but TES really are reporting the oddest of stories. They weren't running round interviewing union leaders when all the above happened and entirely missed the McCormac review and the subsequent rejection of many of its worst ideas.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't think the story reflects any madness in the Scottish system...

Just a warning sign that the idiocy that has consumed England can easily spread north of the border.

cissy3 and delnon like this.