1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stupid bicycle question(s)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A good idea to buy it plenty big enough - you'll grow into it.

2. [​IMG]
    mannishee - I am afraid hubby is slighty wrong - you shouldn't have your feet flat on the floor. The pedals are the gauge for how high or low the saddle should be. Your leg should be slightly bent when your foot is on the lower pedal. Avoid having the saddle too low, it puts pressure on your lower back. You may also need to adjust the handle bar height/distance to saddle, once you have the saddle in the correct position.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

What a lovely thread. It's inspired me to design a guage that will enable us set optimum saddle and handlebar height based on an individual's overall leg length and distance from knee to foot. Fortune here I come.

4. You need to adapt it further - leg length is important for saddle height. Body length and arm length are important for handlebar height and distance to saddle.
    It also depends on the type of bike - mountain bike or sit-up-and-beg bike.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

People laugh at me on my bike, but I don't have any of these problems!

[​IMG]

6. Bloke on my street has one of these - except his has a roof!
    [​IMG]

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks very much for the advice, CQ and pibydd. Very much appreciated!
    I have a sort of bell (hard to explain), so I'm legal. Going to poodle down to Halfords tomorrow with my shopping list and finish getting kitted out. Found an old hi-viz jacket in my overnight bag (don't ask), so I'll wear that until I can afford something a bit more snazzy.
    Lil - I'd feel way safer on your bike and I like the little platform thingy at the back for carrying things. You could do your shopping on that and everything!
    modelmaker - I think you could be on to something there! [​IMG]

8. I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

From my experience when you are staionary you should be able to stay upright by putting your toes on the ground. In practice you would lean slightly to one side and support yourself on one foot whilst the other moved the pedals into the correct position for moving off.
    You can also adjust the saddle by rotating the front up or down to find a position that siuts you. I prefer mine with the front slightly higher than the back but others I know have the front a few cm lower than the back.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

12. blazer struggles to remember grandelf's advice...

[​IMG]

13. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

mine works wonders for when I need to give people a lift home after a brum meet

[​IMG]

14. Good to see this thread thriving, not a single negative comment about cyclists.

Cycling position is a personal thing, you will find it uncomfortable to ride if you can only just touch the floor when sat on the saddle, same if you ride and can get your feet flat on the floor, start about half way and take the advice given earlier.

Bike has to be sold with a bell to be legal, but you can remove it. I find a cheery 'excuse me please' is better than simply ringing a bell.

How far will you travel? I cycle 9 miles each way, so carry a spare inner tube and various tools so I can fix minor problems when out. If you are close and can walk, don't be too concerned.

Lights don't generally help you to see, but they make sure others can see you. I have 3 separate lights on the back, all LED and not very expensive. 2 lights on the front, 1 cheap LED, the other more expensive and very bright.

Go out a few times when there is little traffic. You will soon gain confidence and fell more comfortable about riding in traffic.

As to sitting on a saddle, when you do 150 miles a week you either get used to it, or learn to suffer in silence!!

Take care.

15. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

I also thought afterwards, if you have a mountain bike with really nobbly tyres you can find they really make road work hard work and very noisy. You can invest in some dual purpose or even road tyres but I wouldn't rush to spend more money than you need at this stage. The thing I have which will make serious cyclists cringe is a little rear view mirror. It goes on under the front bar and is fanatstic for allowing me to keep an eye on the cars trying to come past without having to keep turning round. Some of them get so close it can be really scary if you aren't expecting it. Also watch out for lorries in my experience even the drivers who are really good at giving you space tend to pull in surprisingly early!
    My trip to work is 17 miles each way so drive half way and cycle the rest when I can as acompromise to the time involved. The biggest problem I have is being organised the day before so every thing I need is in school.

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

They are very nobbly, pibydd! Think I will take your advice and get some roadies in a couple of months (not yet - I'm a bit too skint!).
    Lovely husband has fixed my seat and it's a lot better. Had a proper hurl out on the beast this avo and I really enjoyed myself. [​IMG] Feeling much more confident and not as wobbly.
    Can't wait for the summer weather when I can get out and explore a bit and really put myself to the test. I wish I'd done this years ago!

17. You are going to be disgustingly fit and toned, aren't you?
    I may have to rethink about meeting up - you will be all glowing with fresh air and have pert buttocks and lythe legs.

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

CQ - it's a bike. It's not a bloody miracle worker!!! [​IMG]

19. Wouldn't it be nice if we had one?
    I seem to have to do a lot more for less results than I ever had to do pre 40. What a bummer.
    My weight is still fine - but my shape seems to be beyond my control.