1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stumped....Writing rhyming poems with reception children

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hi, does anyone have any examples that they have used with their reception classes? I am a bit stumped for ideas!!!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why are you doing this? I love playing with rhymes with young children but am not comfortable with giving them the message that poetry necessarily rhymes.
    I sing songs and chant rhymes, etc, and leave the children to come up with a rhyming last word. We play with rhyming streams - some that make sense, some that don't. But we don't try to make up class poems that rhyme unless there's some context that already makes sense. So you should think of what's going on in your class and have some fun making up rhymes connected with that.

Hope I've made sense.

3. Hi... why am I doing it? Good question!!! Thursday is our CLL writing session, the text for the week is 'Giraffe's can't dance' my jobshare partner does mon-wes with the class and I have them thurs and friday... she suggested that I should get them to write some poetry... I said ok at the time but have come to do my planning and am thinking...HOW???!!!! Can you suggest a good writing activity based on this book? should I knock the poetry on head? Thanks!!!

4. I teach Y1 (at the moment - moving into EYFS in Sept) and even my capable Year 1's find rhyming poetry hard - it needs a great deal of structure and ends up being a cloze activity, which I hate!
    Sorry not much help!

5. Afraid I've no suggestions to help but a word of advice, think carefully before suggestion words to rhyme with. My colleague, in a previous job, asked the pre-school children if they could think of anything which rhymed with Truck. She couldn't work out why all the nursery staff were mouthing no at her and waving at her to stop until one child shouted out F@&k!

6. I observed writing poetry in year 1 guided groups - it was a disaster! 'If they can't say it they can't write it'
    The concept of a poem is so so difficult - they need lots and lots of experience of exactly what other posters have said - play with words, rhyming strings etc. Think I would do something like - 'Giraffe's can't hop, chop, lop, mop etc - or whatever the children came up with. Differentiate by phase - thus ... jump, bump, hump etc. Good luck!

7. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Don't try to be too ambitious! There was a poetry thing I found on the internet once (sorry, can't remember details) that had rhymes based round people's names eg (made up example) "My friend Joe is very slow" and we did that in class, which the children found hilarious.

8. garlictractor

garlictractor New commenter

the slug and the jug game is great. Matching up the pictures and words stimulates other things<strike>.</strike>

9. What about doing an acrostic poem? That way it doesn't have to rhyme, but gives children a great start at using their describing words.