1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stumped over interview lesson!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by thm16, Mar 23, 2016.

1. thm16

thm16 New commenter

I have an upcoming interview for a full time Reception teacher position (NQT) and I am having a bit (a lot) of panic over it as the school has requested I teach the following to a mixed Reception/ Y1 class which I have no experience of. This is what they have asked for-

{Edited to preserve poster's anonymity}

Just unsure how to approach the planning/ organisation of the lesson.

Help!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
  2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, and welcome to the forum.
    ond important thing is that this is probably
    I need to say a couple of things to you before I start answering. As you can see, I have edited your post to remove specific details which might identify you to someone from the school who happened to read this post.

And the second thing is that I wonder if that is your real name? If so,please read this:

* * * You should NOT use your own name and photo as Username and avatar * * *

It is best to remain anonymous on here, you see.

So now to your post: well done! You have already impressed them with your application, now to impress with your interview!

However, as for the ideas, we have a policy NOT to give ideas or suggestions for interview lessons.

Not because we are mean and unkind, but because it just isn't wise.

If we gave you ideas, another candidate might see them, and do the very same thing! Don't think it would never happen - one Head once had 4 - FOUR! - candidates do a lesson which had been suggested on the Primary Forum in response to a request for suggestions for an interview lesson. She recognised it. Wouldn't matter if she hadn't, because the four of them doing the same thing sort of gave things away. :)

And best not to use something from the TES Resources either, for your interview.

Another True Story: a Deputy Head asked a candidate to explain the rationale behind the materials and lesson used, and enquired specifically how they had been devised. She wasn't too impressed by the floundering answer. No wonder: the lesson and materials had been devised entirely by the Deputy Head herself, and posted on TES Resources! :):)

So the sensible rule is: nothing from the internet for an interview. The Head wants to see how YOU can plan and deliver a lesson, even though you may well use other materials on a day-to-day basis. they want to see what you can manage on your own. I'm sure that you can really, you are just suffering from nerves!

Instead of thinking first of the learning activities, you really need to think Objectives? In other words, what do you want them to learn? That must be the starting point.

Start by thinking of a really good lesson that you have given in the past. What was it that made it so successful? Bear that in mind.

Then think of the objectives of your observed lesson. You will need the right objectives for this age group, but make sure that you have high expectations, yet are prepared to be flexible if you have got the level wrong. How will you (a) achieve these objectives and (b) show that they have been achieved? Progress is important, so show it. Then look back at your best class - is there anything there that could help achieve the objectives.

Then work on from that . . . including one or two lines at the end of how you would develop this work in follow-up lessons, perhaps.

Here are the links to the interview advice articles in the Professional Advice Hub. I have included links to things that are not relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters.

3. Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order

Help, I've got an interview!*** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews*** The best-loved advice ***

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?*** Read and note this ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

Interviews – making a positive first impression

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

On here we have a very nice tradition that when you actually get a job, you started a brand-new thread (not adding it to this one - a brand-new thread) where you told us your good news. You call it Dear Theo - I got that job! and this gives everyone a chance to congratulate you. It also gives them hope and inspiration for their own jobseeking, to see you successful.

Make sure you congratulate someone when you see a thread like that!

So I will end by saying that we look forward to seeing your Dear Theo - I got that job!

Best wishes

3. janellewilson

janellewilson New commenter

@TheoGriff, This is really interesting to me. I initially signed up for the US version of the site at the ISTE conference in Atlanta a couple years ago. My profile carried over when I started looking at UK resources. I'm used to using my own name online as I use Twitter, blog, etc. Should I consider changing my username or perhaps set up a second account that's for UK resources? Thanks for the advice!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. thm16

thm16 New commenter

Thank you both, how do I change my username- can't find a link!

Update- found it!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:)