1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stuffed it up again!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by digit, Oct 27, 2015.

1. digit

digit New commenter

Just back from another failed interview because my nerves get the better of me and I need to get over this.

I've been at my current school for 5 years and I always get good feedback from lesson observations, with the last OfSTED rating me as good.

However, my husband will be relocating with his job after Christmas and so I need to get a teaching job in the area where we will be living. My application/covering letters get me the interview, but as soon as I get into the classroom to do the observed lesson I go to pieces, forget to follow the lesson plan and only delver half of what I intended. This last interview, I got very helpful feedback from the head who said that the plan and the objectives and outcomes of the lesson were good and something he would be pleased to see in his school, but that I didn't deliver what was on paper. He acknowledged that it seemed to be my nerves but that he could not take a risk and offer me the position in case it wasn't because I was nervous.

I got the job at the school I am in now because I was long term supply and then got offered a permanent position so there was no interview lesson to do. I had been bullied by the head at the school before this one and needed counselling and CBT to get over it. I think this is why I become a gibbering wreck whenever I encounter unfamiliar SLT.

Not sure if anyone can offer me advice, but if there are any tips to help me overcome this, then I would be grateful for your help.

2. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

I was the opposite, didn't look great on paper, but almost invariably get asked to stick around when doing supply.

You could register with an agency near to where you're relocating and maybe the same will happen as did five years ago.

And supply is ok, really.

Best of luck.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Keep getting the interviews. It once took me 28 of them to get even a temp position and to say I got cynical/racked off with the whole process would be a gargantuan understatement!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are not the only one that happens to. When I got my final post as Headteacher, one of my first thoughts was I'll never have to go through an interview again!

;)

Next time you have an interview, come over to the Jobseekers Forum and start a thread there. I'll give you loads of advice about interviews.

In fact if you want advice about applications too, Jobseekers is the place to go and ask.

Best wishes

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. digit

digit New commenter

Thanks to all for the replies.

I will register with an agency where we are going to, but from my experience of the school I am at now, they still put the long-term supply teachers through the same interview process as external candidates so there is no getting away from the interview lesson.

Thanks Theo, I will look into the Jobseekers' forum the next time I get an invite to an interview.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon )

7. MineField

MineField New commenter

But if you go on supply, you may get a short term supply post, that turns into a long term supply post which then turns into a permanent job, so avoiding the dreaded interview. I agree with other posters that the supply route seems to be your best option, but keep applying for jobs - it's all good practice, and if you know you have the back up of being able to do supply, then this may reduce the pressure and your nerves.

8. digit

digit New commenter

Out of the blue this morning I got an email from an agency wanting me to go for an interview tomorrow morning. And I need to teach for 20 minutes. So it's over to the jobseekers forum for advice.

9. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

The best advice I was ever given is to think of the interview as you interviewing them to see if the school is suitable, rather than just the other way round.

When doing the interview lesson, have a look at the behaviour of the pupils, how they behave if the head comes in to watch etc...

Forget about who is watching, and focus on the kids. What are your specific skills in the classroom? I am good at circulating and making sure kids stay on task, so in the hour long interview lesson, set an independent learning task where i could show off my skill.

Why did you only deliver half what you wanted? Perhaps focus on your strengths more and try and play the lesson towards these?

I am no expert, but used to be so painfully shy until I took a new approach to life and decided to be a confident person and that nerves were no longer going to get in my way.

10. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Sequence: Jobseekers Forum, good sleep, good interview. Best of luck tomorrow, digit!

digit likes this.
  11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Don't put too much in the plan. If you only get through half the content, maybe you're planning twice as much as you need.
    Put the rest in as extension material.
    Good luck, stay cool.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

For many years I had this problem (although I was occasionally successful) . It wasn't just teaching jobs either, I went for other things and didn't get the job. It all culminated in an interview for a temporary post at a school I really wanted to work in about two years ago which I messed up so badly it was embarrassing- actually it was more than embarrassing.

After that when I went for other interviews (and I've been to a couple since) I just didn't get nervous anymore (don't ask me to explain this because I can't). The result - the two best interview lessons I've ever done and the two best formal interviews I've ever done (particularly the last one). I got both jobs and wouldn't be too worried about going for others now. I did prepare for the lessons but I didn't completely go overboard like I used to.