1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students' Writing Paper

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by missmuon, Feb 7, 2011.

1. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Hi All,
    This has been a problem for me since September. I teach IGCSE Maths in a regional international school in China, and was surprised to see that students don't use files or folders to organise or keep records of their work. The worse thing is, they don't use any standard writing paper or exercise books (which they have to buy themselves). They use the textbook itself or scrap pieces of paper to do sums. This practice was allowed by the inexperienced administrators (who never studied or taught International Courses) before I joined. I am starting a new course in February. Now exams are round the corner, I am wondering if I should impose some standards for the new semester. A4 lined paper seems to be scarce/unusual in this part of China. What sized paper is standard? Did you have same or similar problems ? How did you solve it?

2. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Hi All,
    This has been a problem for me since September. I teach IGCSE Maths in a regional international school in China, and was surprised to see that students don't use files or folders to organise or keep records of their work. The worse thing is, they don't use any standard writing paper or exercise books (which they have to buy themselves). They use the textbook itself or scrap pieces of paper to do sums. This practice was allowed by the inexperienced administrators (who never studied or taught International Courses) before I joined. I am starting a new course in February. Now exams are round the corner, I am wondering if I should impose some standards for the new semester. A4 lined paper seems to be scarce/unusual in this part of China. What sized paper is standard? Did you have same or similar problems ? How did you solve it?

3. Read the bolded, underlined part.
    As an experienced teacher what have you done before?
    The answer seems very straight forward surely?
    <ol>[*]Buy excersise books[*]Collct them in at the end of the lesson[*]mark them[*]hand them back[*]get kids to do homework on sheets, bring them in, mark them, put them in their books[*]rinse and repeat</ol>Am I missing something (such as funding issues)? Does it work different in China?

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Obviously they will need to be taught some study/organizational skills and anything you get them would be better than what is being used now. I'm in Beijing and we can get most any kind of paper/notebooks etc here and usually quite cheaply. When in doubt, ask a TA or local staff where to get paper and supplies. They usually know the best places. If no one does, then try either the larger stores like Carrefour or Lotte or even the western places like April Gourmet or Jenny Lou's (if you have them).
    How long have you been in China (is it since Sept.)? Do you like it?

5. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Thank you, betamale and worldtraveller.

I did not say anywhere I don't set or mark homework. That's not the issue. The problem is, writing paper & exercise books are not provided free and freely as in most UK schools and students (parents) here are reluctant to spend money buying the paper or notebook. The admin turn a blind eye when I report problems like these. They've collected the fees, so they are happy. Don't want to know any more.
    Clearer now?

I'm here in China only for 5 months, I love the job, not the place! ( ~1000 miles from BJ) What's it like in BJ?

6. Im not sure anyone stated anything other. I merely outlined a structured way of issuing books and kids having a routine so they didnt lose their work and llowed you a way of assessing pupils.
    The majority of your post seems quite hostile especially using terms "clearer now?"

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Well, then it's either deal with it or buy them yourself (as teachers often do). I've been in Beijing since August and it's quite an amazing place. Exotic, but strangely livable and with enough western conveniences and amenities that you can truly experience as much or as little of the real China as you wish to (which varies from day to day). There are also quite a few great, good and reasonable international schools in the city.

8. erm

erm

Is it that all paper is scarce or just A4 lined paper? If plain paper is easier to get hold of, whatever the size, you could use http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ to turn it into paper of any type you wanted. Lines, squares, dotty, graph, you name it...
    I would have thought this would be rather too much hassle to do on a large scale, but might help until you manage to put something more satisfactory in place.