1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students won't let up...

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by StuartTooting, Jun 12, 2018.

1. StuartTooting

StuartTooting New commenter

I've been at my latest school since September. After a few months a steadily-growing group of students have been getting more and more more hostile towards me. Whenever they come up to my floor of the school they begin shouting and causing a scene. I've tried to ignore it but it just gets worse and worse and more are joining in. I pick off the occasional one by giving them detentions, I've pulled parents in; they've been put in isolation. Nothing seems to work. It's beginning to spill out onto the street as tonight a whole group were shouting an hollering (my classroom faces onto the street). It's got to the point where I can't wait to leave and it's a real effort not to march into the Head's office and say sod the contract I'm leaving now. I've never posted on here before - I just wanted to vent I guess. Other staff members tell me it'll get better in September but from where I stand they're just getting worse.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Sorry to hear you are suffering like this.

You need to find out the reason(s) for their hostility towards you. Of course, it's possible they just picked your name at random. But I think it's more likely that something sparked it all off. You need to find out what that was, before you can start doing anything to remedy it.

There's a distinction between not rising to the bait, and simply ignoring things in the hope it will go away. You have tried that approach and it doesn't seem to have worked. Ignoring the situation further will only be viewed by the perpetrators as a sign of weakness. Some - not all - students tend to be pack animals - it's a bit like the wolves following the caribou herds, and they concentrate their efforts on those individuals identified as weak, as they make the easiest kills.

You should make your HOD/SLT fully aware of what's going on. Perhaps they might like to come into your classroom at the appropriate time, to see for themselves ?

You could do that. In which case the smarmy, loud-mouthed, offensive little people have won the day, at your expense. Quite apart from the financial implications of that, they will also believe that such behaviour is both acceptable and rewarding. It should actually be neither of those.

Are they saying that the troublesome ones will leave at the end of this academic year ? If not, then failing to do anything about it now simply means it will more than likely happen again, at the start of next year.

Whatever else happens, you must get to the bottom of why you are being targeted for this sort of behaviour.
    You can't work out how to solve a problem, until you understand what the problem is.

Best of luck, and I hope you get the support you need, and manage to get this resolved, so you can carry on doing the job you want to do. :)

pepper5, Stiltskin and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. StuartTooting

Thanks for this response. I think it all dated back to the start of the year when I used to have a stock response to tell them to be quiet along the lines of 'knock it off'. They found this hilarious and I would hear it in the corridors. I stopped saying it but then it mutated that when I cleared my throat there are massively loud exaggerated coughing noises in the corridor. It would be one thing if it was just my class but it's their anti-social associates who I don't even teach who are the worst culprits. They've got strength in anonymity as they shout it/make a racket as they come up the stairs. As the stairs/corridors are not staffed it's nigh on impossible to identify the culprits. If nothing else, at least writing all this down is quite cathartic.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Does your school have a friendly SLT or pastoral head you can trust to support you in this. From your posts it's possible to predict that such could position himself at the top of the stairs at certain times with a good chance of catching ringleaders.

Of course this depends on who you trust as there are plenty who would rather turn this against you rather than step up and errr....... do the job they're supposed to.

pepper5 and StuartTooting like this.
  5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I'd consider it bullying. I would definitely report it, to the appropriate person in your school and also to your union (even if it's just to be noted).

Sorry it's got to this point, and I hope it works out.

pepper5 and StuartTooting like this.
  6. StuartTooting

I'll try and be diplomatic and say that the pastoral lead is not exactly a dynamic operator. In fact, I think this has contributed to the problem really.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. StuartTooting

Yes, it's effectively bullying. I'm going to speak to my Head tomorrow about it. It's gone on too long.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Even if it weren't, it would still be both annoying and distracting. :(

Hope something positive comes from it for you. :)