1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students withdrawn from my lesson

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shelleylong27, Dec 14, 2019.

1. shelleylong27

shelleylong27 New commenter

Hi, I recently have had a lower set year 8 class and a few of the kids were giving a bit of bother[nothing major] and I referred two of the girls to hod a few times following the behaviour code. He is a nice supportive man but to my horror he told me he would take the 2 of the girls I complained about into his set permanently, it is only a small class of around 15 kids and this makes me feel totally incompetent and failed as well as undermined. I didn't know what to say when he emailed me it on Friday, i am having huge doubts now about my future in the school, I have being there since May.What do you think?

2. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Just make sure you work hard with your remaining students to prove yourself. Perhaps, after a spell, ask if it would be appropriate for them to return and ask for behaviour management tips for the two girls.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This happens often where I am. It's used supportively. I have a girl in my year 10 temporarily moved in to support a colleague.

Have a chat with your HoD* and just check it isn't reflecting poorly on you.

On a sidenote: always be aware that you HoD is not your friend but your manager. If you raise a problem with him, even if you feel you are venting, professionally he has to take that on board and respond. Yes he could have consulted with you... but he doesn't have to.

* amusingly changed to God by my phone

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What Lanokia said.

lanokia likes this.
  5. htaylor16

htaylor16 New commenter

Be grateful, he’s probably doing to support you rather than undermine you. I’ve had disrupted students removed from my classes and see it as a positive move (while silently cheering).

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sounds like support to me. What did the OP expect would happen?

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Be grateful. Now you can get on with teaching the rest of the class without their disruption. You can prove that the class will make better progress without them, and the class will see that there are consequences if they misbehave. And the two girls may also be able to be 'retrained' into better behaviour by the HoD.

8. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

This has happened to me a few times in my career. It has always been supportive. On a few occasions I have had disruptive students moved to my class to support a colleague. Its what a good HoD does.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. It has happened to me both ways too. When the kid who was clearly organising the whole class against me was finally moved to another class,I was not upset but extremely happy! I saw it as less of a failure on my part than good riddance to bad rubbish.

Dragonlady30 and Lalad like this.
  10. shelleylong27

thanks for the replies-i just see it as failure on my part though and am really upset by it.

11. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

You’re lucky to have a good HOD who decided to have those children in his/her teaching group where s/he could mould them or possibly because he’s there longer than you already have a better relationship with them. Doing so should be a big relieve for you so you can get on with others who are willing to learn. Others will leave you struggling and adjudged you incapable of dealing with behaviour.

12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

There are sometimes students that you simply do not want in your class.
    Ones with a history of making malicious allegations, for example.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Then stop setting yourself the goal of achieving the impossible - being able to effectively teach every single child who ever turns up in your classroom. Pragmatism rules - be grateful for what's available, because it may not be in the next place you work or if the HoD moves on.

Throughout my career I appreciated genuine support. In my final year before retiring I had a HoD who refused to contemplate disruptive children being sent to him, even temporarily, despite the school having a departmental referral policy. "Call for SLT" was his stock response - yeah, right, I'm on a temporary contract that I might want renewing and I'm going to call SLT every time they could be just sat outside your room for half an hour cooling off. Thank you so bloody much.

14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

How many children does he have in his set?
    You have a set of 15 and are complaining about two being removed? I have a (very) challenging class of 30 and would love it if two of the (many) disruptive children were moved into another group!

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Have a chat with your HOD and explain you would be OK with them staying in your class and you can cope with his support. You have not asked for them to be removed, that was your HOD's decision. Carry on and do the very best you can with your remaining students who may relieved and delighted the miscreants have been removed so they can get on with it without the disruptions they cause.

It seems to me as if you've got a free pass here; your troublesome students have been removed allowing you to get on. Also, try to see it from your HOD's point of view. He is supporting you and you are doing the right thing by referring the miscreants to him but it may be easier and less time consuming for him to deal with them himself. Just get on and enjoy teaching your lessons without having to deal with so many behavioural issues.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's a failure on the pupils part... the majority acted correctly... these pupils failed.

Not you... they failed.

Teachers too readily take the blame in the system as it stands.

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Take this opportunity and use it to build relationships with the other pupils in the group.

18. shelleylong27

''It seems to me as if you've got a free pass here; your troublesome students have been removed allowing you to get on.''

thanks but these things are never a free pass in my experience-it lowers your worth in eyes of management, they think you're not up to it.

BigFrankEM likes this.
  19. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What did you want to happen? Did you go and talk about it if you're not happy with the arrangement and suggest something different? It's probably not too late to do so now.

Like many here, at various times I've been on both sides of the situation, it can be all but impossible to influence the behaviour in someone else's class from a distance.

Were you privy to how these classes were made up? We used to have a meeting in the summer term to talk through possible problems and combinations of students, this might be something that was to some degree anticipated and so action is being taken.

border_walker likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Poor fella. It is a fella? The HoD? Be grateful.

Leave it half a term and then check again. Build your confidence with the remaining kids. Try to study what went wrong with those two. Not apportioning blame!

Don't panic!

Dragonlady30 likes this.