1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students who've been to Coronavirus countries

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Abitofeverything, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I'm 4 months pregnant and my tutees and their families know. I've just had an email from a parent saying they went to Northern Italy last week, before there were known cases of Coronavirus there, and if I want to no tutor their kid for a couple of weeks, that's OK with them.
    My instinct is that we can't all start avoiding everyone who has been to every other country where there have been cases, so to carry on as normal. But I just wanted to see what others thought?

2. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I've offered my parents the choice of online tuition or a refund if they have to follow government advice to self isolate. I teach children with compromised immune systems so cannot risk exposing myself or them. If I am exposed I'll have to close down completely for 14 days and I can't afford that.

Have they actually travelled to an affected area? And are the children being allowed to attend school? Or did their visit fall outside of the dates where they would need to self isolate?

3. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

This website has all the information you would need https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...idance-to-educational-settings-about-covid-19

If they are in a group who would need to self isolate (if they visited a category 1 area) then yes you should really not tutor them in person as you could be putting yourself, your, family, your business and your other tutees in danger - albeit probably a small danger.

I would not risk it.

4. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Would the parents of your other tutees be happy for their children to be in contact with you if they knew you'd been in contact with someone who'd been to N Italy?

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I would carry on as normal, but as you are 4 months pregnant perhaps it would be wise to be more cautious and miss a couple of weeks. Do you know if the child will be attending school?