1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students Who Can't Use Internet

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by clarancebulford, May 29, 2020.

1. clarancebulford

clarancebulford New commenter

How common is it for you to have students who are not permitted to use the internet? How about not permitted to have a school-provided device?

This year I've had some parents who do not allow their child to use the internet or will not allow their child to have a school-provided Chromebook. They all did eventually permit the use of internet and Chromebooks at school with direct supervision, but they did not allow the devices to be taken home

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    That proved to be an issue when we were doing online instruction since those kids were doing modified paper copies of the work.

Is this something that you see very often?

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  2. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

That's a helpful bit of moderation TES. Well done on that one.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

WE sent text books to children who could not use the internet. Its not unusual to refuse a school provided device. I certainly have for my children. I don't want to be responsible for expensive equipment in a dubious condition, and certainly could not afford to replace chromebooks if they were dropped, left on the bus, or just stopped working and we got the blame

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It's worth remembering that some parents don't actually want to help the school or their children and will place barriers for us teachers to jump over. I've had parents complain about the ' expense ' of wifi when the family all had smartphones and watched non terrestrial programmes on TV.

5. jonhgaarg

jonhgaarg New commenter

This is strange, do they really not understand that all this is necessary for the comfortable educational process of their children?