1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students wandering the halls

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by taliasofia, Feb 9, 2016.

1. taliasofia

taliasofia New commenter

Hello,

I am new to this page and am hoping someone can help/give me some advice.

I am a recently appointed learning mentor at a primary school, and one of the main problems at the moment is a couple of children (all from different classes, mainly years 4 and 5) who throughout the day for one reason or another are found wandering the halls. Most of them have anger/anxiety issues and teachers usually let them step outside the classroom for a few minutes to calm down, but some of them never come back, especially if they are too angry at the teacher, and so spend the rest of the day wandering around. I am usually called when this happens and because I am new and they still don't trust / know me well enough they refuse to engage with me and ignore me, and I just end up walking behind them to make sure they don't hurt themselves or others or don't destroy school property.

I feel at a loss as to what my options are, I feel by the time I am called to get them it is too late because their emotions are through the roof and they refuse to listen to me at all. On the other hand I do feel lame just walking behind them, being ignored, it is a horrible feeling!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how you have dealt with wanderers in the past? Threats don't work, and neither do prizes, if I offer them extra iPad time if they go back to class, or threaten them with having to make up time during break time they just say stuff like "I don't care" or just continue to ignore me :(

Thanks in advance for any, ANY suggestions!!

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

New school policy - kids who are allowed out of class to "calm down" have to report to a certain area It can be your office, the school library, a waiting area, anywhere but they have to go there. Teachers need to be told to call you earlier and you need a bit of extra support from SMT in how you are expected to manage these situations.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. taliasofia

taliasofia New commenter

Thank you, that is really helpful, I will speak to my Headteacher and try to implement a new policy like this ASAP!

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes seems like your situation in school justifies a Base of some description - short term , negotiated time, clear rationale so the facility is not abused , ideally at the heart of the school but with a quiet area and work stations ? Maybe written into behaviour contracts / time out cards. LT need to be completely on board . Needs careful planning. Have evidence ( name, times, lessons , hot spots blah blah ) to make a case.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Maybe have a policy where the children are not allowed to 'step outside' for any time at all. If they need the leave the room, then you are called to accompany them.

6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Shame we're not allowed to pick them up and tuck them under one arm and bring them back to the classroom!

7. taliasofia

taliasofia New commenter

Thank you everyone, it does seem clear that a policy needs to be put in place... I appreciate how everyone is saying similar things and it must be for a reason!
    Big thanks!!