1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Students unable to write as much because "exams make our hands sore"

Discussion in 'English' started by thequillguy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

haha! I keep a blog that relates running and teaching - I think there is similar endeavour in both. That, and without some guts, some kids can't write.

I'll be interested to see the writing speed of all my pupils. I type fairly fast - 60-75 WPM - but cannot write at a similar pace. However, certain kinds of writing require me to write.

We need to teach touch-typing, though, for sure! I used a game called Typing of the Dead. Not sure if that'll be acceptable in school.

2. Interesting point. Are the students who use laptops to write their controlled assessments (as I have seen as standard at school A) at an advantage over those who write by hand (as seen in school B)? Interesting...

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I have one boy in my class who does. It's his "normal way of working" and is an access arrangement (it's an Alpahsmart not a laptop though so no spell check or anything).
    There is no way we could manage it for everyone - not one of our computer rooms has enough machines for any of our classes. 35 students using 25 machines doesn't work too well!